Default Imported post

Hi all -

I just received notification from the customs broker that my car has been received at Port Hueneme - hopefully this means I'll be picking it up within the next few days

I was interested to note that the stated value listed on the import form was ~$1200 less than I actually paid: I don't know where this number came from, but I assume it's some sort of calculated depreciation due to the car being "used".

In any case, I assume that the state tax I pay will be based on this value rather than the price I actually paid - if so I'll save an additional ~$100 in state tax

Any other OSDers notice this?

AutoMonkey
    2003 Platinum Green XC70, OSD March 2003

Default Imported post

OOOHHH!  I hope so.  I expect the documents pretty soon.  I would think that they would have to value it as used.

BTW:  the DMV is useless- call 3 times, get 3 answers.... depending on how you interpret the vehicle code....

Good luck with the process.  Did they give you an ETA for transport?  Anything you can share is welcomed.  

Good to see you back too...
    Current Volvos
    2012 XC70, OSD, Twilight Bronze/Espresso
    2008 C70, OSD, Celestial Blue/Cream Sovereign

Former Volvos
    2009 XC70 Oyster/Black
    2006 S60R Black Sapphire/Nordkap
    2003 XC70, OSD, Ash/Espresso
    2000 S40, Ice White/Black

Default Imported post

THANKS for posting that snippet AM.

This is good news. Did you have one or more accessory items listed on your shipment form? I ask as I have several and I'm wondering if Customs will increase the car's overall value beyond my BILL OF SALE price.

How many miles on were on your car at FDC dropoff ? I wonder if it's -$1 for every mile driven

BTW my WA state DMV says they will use the Customs Value as the basis for their Use Tax calculations. If your DMV is unclear my advice would be to present to them the doc that show the minimum value for the car. Let them figure out if what you present isn't correct.

Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Son's '01 S60 2.3L T5,Maya Gold,96Kmi
    Son's '03 XC70 Platinum Green (OSD)
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '86 745 GLE 6-Cyl-Turbo Diesel,Graphite,255Kmi
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son
    SOLD '03 XC70, '04 S60R, '07 S60R