Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Default Imported post

I realize that it might be too late to mention this, but I'm curious to know if anyone took advantage of the 2002 dealer rebates that Volvo was offering.

Default Imported post

We did. In late August there was a $3K rebate that went to $4K for 2 days for the XC. Volvo only meant it to be $4K for the regular V70 and not the XC. They did honor the extra $1K discount though. Someone who sent out the rebate faxes to the deales forgot to exclude the XC. I wonder if they are still job hunting!

Jason
    Jason,

Riding with the Big Dog.

Default Imported post

I received a $4500 dealer rebate at the time of purchase.  It was an advertised rebate, and then I managed to get a little more off the top - so all in all I think we got a great deal.

Michael

Default Imported post

I forgot to mention. Volvo of Lisle, Doug Dowd. Great guy. Sold us the car at $300 under invoice (in their holdback) + the rebate. What a bargin!

Jason
    Jason,

Riding with the Big Dog.

Default Imported post

We also got more than 4.5K off the car. Quite a bit more actually, in part because some new cars came in off the truck carrying another $1K "factory" discount from Volvo that the cars already on the lot did not have. We essentially bought our car while it was still on the truck (sight unseen) and only saw the extra discount after the car came off the truck.

It made me wonder what the dealership did with the rest of the cars on that truck, because they took our car and prepped it immediately - and that included taking the sticker off it and giving it to us.
    MY2002 - V70XC
    Nautic Blue/Graphite

Default Imported post

Oh, I wish I had known about this offer.   We were looking for a XC70 a couple of weeks ago and the dealer in Raleigh, NC was not willing to deal below MSRP.   I finally went with the OSD program as the total cost was below well MSRP because of the free premium package.  I now have to wait for another three months before I do get the car.
    '03 XC+DSTC+Premium+Touring+DVD Nav

Default Imported post

You still end up ahead, the 03' car is signifcantly less money than the 02'. Some dealers are just stupid in not wanting to deal I guess. Or if you traded in a car they had to meet your number to get the deal done and there was no more margin to work with. It's a catch 22. I used to see it all the time, someone has a non-sensible view of he trade value AND expects $500 UNDER invoice. It isn't going to happen. Boy am I glad I'm not in the car business any longer!  Not that this refers to you in any way.

Jason
    Jason,

Riding with the Big Dog.

Default Imported post

I was shopping for my wife's XC in early September here in the Baltimore/DC area. At that time, all the dealers were offering a $3,500 discount off invoice. Our '02 XC had an MSRP of over $41,000. I picked it up for around $34,500 and even got them to include a set of Volvo crossbars and a Volvo bike/tire carrier (a $250 value).

Default Imported post

I am not against the dealer making a profit,  That is what they are in the business for.  However, what bothers me is the head-in-the-sand mentality of our local dealer when there is so much information out on the net.   Here is a brief history:

July 2002 -- was quoted a price of 37K on a 2002 XC w/prem+touring.  Didn't take it.

Sep 2002 -- the engine on my Accord, which had 150K miles, blew up.  The dealer stuck to the price of 37K for a 2002 XC with options.   Gave up and bought a Camry instead.

Dec 2002 -- lost my Civic in an accident.  I was hoping to buy a 2002 car and had no idea about the rebate.  The dealer, however, had other ideas.  He offered me a 2003 XC w/touring+premium for 38K.  Again left in disgust at his unwillingness to budge on his quote.  However, this time around I checked out the OSD program.    When I went in to set this up, he let me know that the premium package comes in free.   I finally put my money down on an XC70.   I am waiting anxiously to go to Gothenburg in February, even though I know that it will dark, damp and cold all the time there
    '03 XC+DSTC+Premium+Touring+DVD Nav