Default Imported post

All types of posts both pro & con but mostly con about pirelli tires--what's your expierence and can one at FDC pick-up ask for Michelin or other brand..  Keep reading about road noise and sidewall problems and standard tire.
    2010 XC60 3.2AWD; 2004 XC70 OSD both models

Default Imported post

Nope. Volvo swears by them at the factory.  The road noise is less in the new model.  A little smoother as well.  Ask them while your there about why they chose that tire.

Current Volvos
    2012 XC70, OSD, Twilight Bronze/Espresso
    2008 C70, OSD, Celestial Blue/Cream Sovereign

Former Volvos
    2009 XC70 Oyster/Black
    2006 S60R Black Sapphire/Nordkap
    2003 XC70, OSD, Ash/Espresso
    2000 S40, Ice White/Black

Default Imported post

Did you ask them that question, LT? I would like to hear the official answer on that one!

I was thinking about this very question myself. I somehow doubted that you could get your own brand on but I would be sure to make an arrangement with the nearest tire shop to the FDC and get them swapped out for Michelins or something as soon as I picked up the car.

Actually my own experience with the Pirelli Scorpion S/T has been good so far at 8.5K miles. However will swap them for Michelin or Nokian when it's time.
    MY2002 - V70XC
    Nautic Blue/Graphite

Default Imported post

Indeed.  I was told that the decision was made based on testing and the tech outcomes with regard to performance v. cost.

The Pirelli tire had nearly identical characteristics as the Michelin they tested- yet Pirelli could supply them at a lower marginal cost.  Volvo feels that the new Pirelli is the best choice for an all weather tire for the particular characteristics that the cars are designed to handle.

I rare cases of supply shortage, Michelins' are used on the XC line.  Apparently there are early model 2003's with them that were produced during a Pirelli supply shortage.  

I have no idea what the difference in marginal cost really is... but needless to say- you get what they put on- no special requests.  Snow tires are a different story, but I believe that they are a dealer delivery item, not an FDC pickup option.

I didn't spend a great deal of time chatting about this- but I was curious because I have seen both the Conti's and the Michelin tires on Volvos here at our dealer....
    Current Volvos

Former Volvos
    2009 XC70 Oyster/Black

Default Imported post

Why wouldn't you be able to specify different tires from the dealer?  Ask the dealer what credit he will give you for the unused tires.  If I recall correctly, the tire warranty is from the tire manufacturer - not Volvo.  You are perfectly entitled to get any tires you want.  If the dealer wants your businees, he will cooperate.
    2001 XC silver/brown-taupe. All the bells and whistles.
    Nokian WR 235-60-16

1975 Mercedes 450 SL silver/black

Default Imported post

I agree Prepo...that should be somewhat possible at a dealer under a traditional purchase/lease....

BUT at the factory you get what you get. Period. Unless someone else from OSD/TDS world can prove that to be wrong.... BTW: time to move it over, eh?  Thanks Coastal.

Current Volvos

Former Volvos
    2009 XC70 Oyster/Black

Post Imported post

moved from 2001 XC General.
    01 V70XC/Silver/Graphite/Touring & Versatility Packs/No Mods
    Servoweb Technologies developers of web stuff...
    Paddle Surf Canada
    CanSkier.com Skier Community