Unhappy Imported post

Can anyone tell me how the "free" WorldCell phone worked?  How expensive the calls were?  Did you have cell service every where you went.  Were there hidden expenses?  We leave May 16th and pick up our XC70 on May 19th and are staying 13 days in Norway/Sweden.  I would guess ours is/was one of the last 03's made.

Default Imported post

Brenna:

WELCOME  

I was considering one at the time but decided on using Internet Cafe in Sweden/Norway -- and I found them with ease.

You may review Use of cell/mobile phone topic and/or search forum for "Cell AND Phone" to find more. There was one posting back in Jan'03 I recall where an OSDer did make use of the 'free' WorldCell. I couldn't get a fix on the cost of making calls using it.

Good luck with your Sweden/Norway driving tour in May. Hmmmmmm, May 19th is the day my XC70 arrives in USA. snap
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Son's '01 S60 2.3L T5,Maya Gold,96Kmi
    Son's '03 XC70 Platinum Green (OSD)
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '86 745 GLE 6-Cyl-Turbo Diesel,Graphite,255Kmi
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son
    SOLD '03 XC70, '04 S60R, '07 S60R

Default Imported post

I did rent the phone. The phone is free for the first 7 days, $5/day for any additional days. We stayed for 11 days and were charged $25 up front. Which now that I think about it should have been $20 ( I will have to check in to that). They mail you the phone a couple of days before your trip and give you a paid FedEx mailer to mail it back when you get home. It includes an extra battery, europe power plug, 12v plug in and head set.  I believe the costs were about $1/min for outgoing or incoming calls in Europe and maybe $2/min to call back to US. I have not received by bill for the calls yet. If you call the phone number they give you to order the phone they should be able to give you the specifics. I believe you can also get a chip for your phone that will allow it to be used in Europe.

Hope that helps,
    Kersti
    '08 Oyster Gray XC70 DSTC Front/Rear Park Assist, Rear 12V.

Default Imported post

Whoops, I misspoke, I was gone 12 days.
    '08 Oyster Gray XC70 DSTC Front/Rear Park Assist, Rear 12V.

Default Imported post

Just bought an erickson gsm phone & with my ATT , I can use my phone in Sweden without any changes for $1.29/min for call within the country or back to the US. Calls to other countries would be $2.29/min.  Not paying rentals--this seems to be pretty fair.
    2010 XC60 3.2AWD; 2004 XC70 OSD both models