Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Venice, CA; 2004 XC70, Silver (AKA: Silvia)

Default Imported post

Hi Low tide & Barry,

Thanks for all the info,

I'm currently trying to get up the courage and make the time to go to the DMV. I hope they have the answers!

I get back to you when I get the info.
    2004 Volvo, Silver XC70, OSD, 113,000 mi; AKA: Silvia

Default Imported post

Hello silverstar, my June 2 date has been confirmed if I don't make any changes to my order after 9 am tomorrow, hope to meet you there.

I talked to William earlier tonight and he is still trying to find his records from the client that made the 90 day rule work for him. He will get the info to me when he can and I will post it here.

Thanks to everyone for their help on this. I also think we Californians (everyone else also) feel extra sensitive to taxes this week with Fed and State income plus homeowners taxes due.

Like Low Tide I'm starting to be resolved that there may be too many hoops to jump through for this to work. I've been thinking that there could be one hoop to jump through that may work, have the car delivered to No. Carolina where my daughter lives. We could visit our grand daughter then drive it cross crounty (pun?).
    '04 XC70, June OSD pick up, Crystal Grn, Taupe

Default Imported post

For those of us in California I find it hard to believe that our state has left any loopholes for us to avoid paying sales tax on an OSD purchase.   I think that any RESIDENT of California must pay sales tax on a purchased vehicle no matter the number of days it was in use.  If you had paid sales tax (called use tax in CA) on your purchase in Sweden then I believe that California would reduce the taxes charged by the amount you had paid in Sweden.  Since we did not pay any Swedish tax and we are California residents then I suspect we are out of luck.  I think the only way around it is if you were in fact a resident of another state or another country.  Then you could avoid paying tax on the car if it were more than 90 days old.  I hope I am wrong.

Peter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234