Default Imported post

Hey, the internet access is FREE in Copenhagen airport (lots of laptops with very high speed lines as well) at the Syntonetic Booth. This Booth is located near the C gate entrance and Passport checkpoint, a small bar and close to the Toilets. Obviously Syntonetic wants to show off their products

Just finished my dropoff at FDC about 2 hrs ago with Hans and arranged for various last minute changes which he handled without fuss.

My car will be in my hands come May 19th so Hans said.

I will list off all the neat things Hans alerted me to later on.

Had a tremendous time in Sweden-Norway and and now back to reality

I managed to get three sets of headlight protective covers and 3 sets of fog light covers. Hans said I had to carry the headlight protective covers back myself -- every thing else can go in car for shipping.

Managed to get a bunch of VAT refunded at Gothenburg airport but there's a procedure you must follow precisely otherwise you're out of luck -- will post the VAT refund procedure later on.

later....

Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Son's '01 S60 2.3L T5,Maya Gold,96Kmi
    Son's '03 XC70 Platinum Green (OSD)
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '86 745 GLE 6-Cyl-Turbo Diesel,Graphite,255Kmi
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son
    SOLD '03 XC70, '04 S60R, '07 S60R

Default Imported post

Thanks for the headlight/fog light covers Barry!  Have a safe trip back!
    2003 XC70 - White Ext.+Taupe Int.+Premium Pkg+Touring Pkg+Mud Flaps+Rubber Mats+Rear Skid Plate+Trailer Hitch+Headlight Protection

Default Imported post

Hi Steve,

Got back safely -- long tiring plane ride.

I was able to claim back the VAT on the headlight covers so that will lower cost some. I almost missed the chance to get the VAT refunded as I had already checked in the headlight cover boxes as luggage at ticket counter and they had gone thru security screening. The VAt office wanted to see the boxes before refunding. So I had to go back to ticket counter and ask if I could get boxes back. They said no it wasn't possible. So I said I would not fly and that they would then have to get muy luggage back. That made them act a little more responsible and as it happened they were just inside the security room -- so got them back and then was able to obtain VAT refund

Glad to be back home and the trip was marvelous.
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son

Default Imported post

You are fortunate that you can get the VAT tax refund for any and all items that you purchased.  In Paris, there are so many restrictions to the point that no really gets the VAT back unless you spend over 185 euros and the store must issue a special form for the refund.  Otherwise, simple receipts will not qualify.  The trip was extremely long from LA->Seattle->Copenhagen->Paris....14 hours total plus connection time.
    2003 XC70 - White Ext.+Taupe Int.+Premium Pkg+Touring Pkg+Mud Flaps+Rubber Mats+Rear Skid Plate+Trailer Hitch+Headlight Protection

Default Imported post

Yes you're correct about the VAT refund rules. I made sure that the Volvo shop (Bilia) I bought the covers from filled out a VAT refund form for me. I've been thru this process before and at least I knew about that part of the process.

I bought several other things besides the covers and had VAT refund forms for them as well. Bought a very nice Swedish glass bowl crafted by a local artist (Number 11 out of 100) for my wife. Anyhows I managed to come away from VAT refund office with around $200

I'll contact you via private Email about sending the headlight covers to you during next day or so. I also bought you fog light covers at FDC but they will ship back with my car as Volvo has no problems installing fog light covers but does with the headlight covers. I asked the parts person at Bilia how easy/hard the headlight cover installation was and he said it wasn't that easy and just follow instructions and take your time. Once installed it's easy to remove them for glass cleaning etc. Hey, since I don't get my car until May 19th you can let us know how easy/hard the installation is and maybe pass along some installation advice.

The headlight protective covers are contained in a box that measures 22" x 7" x 10". The sticker on the box shows the Headlight Protective covers to be a Volvo accessory for Model: V70(00-), S/V40, V70. They are made in Australia and Bilia placed a "Tax Free" sticker on the boxes for me. The box probably weighs around 5-7 lbs. I stuffed two sets into one box and a single pair into another to reduce number of boxes I had to transport as luggage down from 3 boxes to two. The ticket counter person used some strong tape to join the two boxes together to form one large piece of checked in luggage for the airplane ride back to USA

Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son

Default Imported post

Glad to have you back Barry and thank you for getting the light covers.  Hopefully you don't suffer from as much jet lag as I did the first few days.  I wish I had know you could order extra keys so reasonably.  I just received my Visa and it cost me a total of about $750 for the alum protective plate, metal cargo net, tire chains, rubber/cargo mat special with extra side pocket and mud flaps. By the way did you have the wing bars installed and if so how did they look? sound?

Kersti
    '08 Oyster Gray XC70 DSTC Front/Rear Park Assist, Rear 12V.

Default Imported post

Kersti,

I too purchased the front, rear and cargo floormat package at the FDC without seeing the product.  When I picked up my car this past Tuesday, I was pleased with both the front and rear mats, but in order to install the extra cargo net/basket or whatever they call it, the factory CUT the rear cargo mat.  The mat is molded to fit the contours of the rear cargo area.  In order to install the net accessory, the installer trimmed off a section of my mat.

The result was a jagged edge that did not look clean or professional.  Even my salesman agreed.  Before I left the dealership, I had the cargo mat replaced.  

However, now that I have a whole cargo mat, I am not able to use the net/basket.  I do think that during the summer months, when the rubber mat is not as necessary, the basket will fit with the standard cargo mat.

Just an FYI-

Eric

Default Imported post

kersti:

The Wing Profile crossbars weren't installed when car delivered to me at FDC. I asked Hans about this and he said they don't install accessories of that nature. They were inside the car at delivery time inside their brown boxes. I opened the box to examine them and they looked superb and just what I expected. They will ship with the car as a bone fide Volvo accessory and list on the Bill of Laden for USA import/customs folks.

So I can't describe how they sounded while driving -- but I can't see that they will add much to car inside noise level.

Incidentally, they had the Wing Profile cross bars on display at the FDC accessory booth -- the ones there were silver looking whereas the ones in my box were black or maybe graphite coloured. I asked Hans about the colour difference and he said mine were colour coordinated with my car's longitudinal side rails

I will not be able to ship fog light covers to you until when I get my car back into USA -- that will be around May 19th. Hope you can wait that long for them  They do have Han's finger prints on them

Other OSDers I met at FDC had the fog light covers installed immediately and they looked very professional and capable of providing good protection from low flying objects. I didn't bother to have them installed during my car delivery as FDC was pretty busy that day plus I had other things I wanted to think about as we drove about -- so left the accessory list until FDC drop off day. It was during my drive touring that I thought of extra keys, remotes etc as Hans had indicated the attractive cost to me during our initial chat during delivery. I recall having to pay over $120 for a MY1998 Volvo S90 remote my dog chewed and the extra cost for software programming on top of this -- so in effect I was forewarned and learned my lesson.
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son

Default Imported post

Whit-
    Thanks for the heads up.  If they did the same with mine, I will also request a replacement mat.

Barry-
    No problem, my car will arrive at Port Hueneme, CA on May 9th so I assume it will be at the dealer's a few days later. We can make arrangements when you get them.  By then I should know whether we will make the long trek up to BC for the get together or not. Also let me know how the wing cross bars work out.

Kersti
    '08 Oyster Gray XC70 DSTC Front/Rear Park Assist, Rear 12V.

Default Imported post

TIP #2:

Free internet access and cheap beer as well.  46 DKK for a 75cl Carlsberg Special.  How else will you kill layover time?  Be safe and ask for more than an hour layover... That airport is slow in, slow out.  Chances are your flight will no wait for you.  Speaking from experience... and about 60 other people on our flight from Goteborg.
    Current Volvos
    2012 XC70, OSD, Twilight Bronze/Espresso
    2008 C70, OSD, Celestial Blue/Cream Sovereign

Former Volvos
    2009 XC70 Oyster/Black
    2006 S60R Black Sapphire/Nordkap
    2003 XC70, OSD, Ash/Espresso
    2000 S40, Ice White/Black