Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Imported post

They recommend you keep the RPMs down below 4000 for the first 1200 miles.  I was a bit reserved in the manuevers I tried.  I pretty much got them out the dealers test drive.  The track itself is also termed a "closed road".  I, too, was very disappointed with the track since I had envisioned a large track you see on racing programs.  But really it is just a loop with all the loose rocks they through down on the road to improve the tractions.  After three loops, we parked it in the parking lot.

Default Imported post

Hey, the new OSD section seems to be off to a flying start.   Perhaps this will set the standard for the place to go for the "real" OSD details.

On to the point.  Track sounds like a way to make sure the tires won't fall off when you leave the FDC....    

rkertsner's checklist is much appreciated as are the shared experiences.  Your site was quite useful when I was deciding what to do and wanted a little info as to what to expect.  I am sure that this next group of OSD groupies will add to that experience- and coastal's offer to add the section and a "handbook" of sorts will certainly help those that go after.  I am still interested to here of past OSD experiences- as I am sure there are many.  

Last- Barry, it seems that you have established good contact at the FDC.  Would you say that we would all be best suited to contact the FDC once to send them the list of accessories we want added?  Would this help their schedule for install and FDC delivery prep?  Something like the Wood Doughnut would probably take a little time to get on board you think?  Have you encountered limits to what they can and are willing to do?  

-LT
    Current Volvos
    2012 XC70, OSD, Twilight Bronze/Espresso
    2008 C70, OSD, Celestial Blue/Cream Sovereign

Former Volvos
    2009 XC70 Oyster/Black
    2006 S60R Black Sapphire/Nordkap
    2003 XC70, OSD, Ash/Espresso
    2000 S40, Ice White/Black

Default Imported post

CHECK LIST.

i used early 20th century technology to make my list, i.e. paper, pen and ruler.  i began with 21st century technology however.  i compiled and printed a listing of all my car's items from the volvo 'build your own volvo" web site.  added by hand the few items not listed or that i was providing, e.g. first aid kit, tire gage, duct tape.  i took the printed list and went through each item and designated it as inspect, operate or test track.  for example:

Inspect/operate/test track            electric sun roof
          inspect/operate                           8 way electric passenger seat
          inspect                                       pen holder
          inspect/operate                            emergency flashers
          inspect                                       pirelli scorpion tires
          inspect/operate                            cd player
          inspect                                       laminated side glass
          inspect/operate                            parking brake

etc./etc.

when hans introduced us to the car, i was able to go through most of the inspect items as he did his 'from memory for the 10,000th time' instructional spiel.  when he was finished, i did all of the operate and inspect items he did not cover, not many.  then, we went out on the test track for the test track items.  because it was a tuesday with fewer deliveries, because we were the last delivery of the day, and because of our positive attitudes, hans and the rest of the fdc folks had plenty of time to spend with us and seemed appreciative of our compulsive, comprehensive approach.  

i hope this is helpful to everyone.  i honestly believe you will be better served to make your own list for your specific car.  if you really want a copy of my beat up, marked up list, send me a good fax # and i will try to locate it in my records for you.  i would warn you however, that i was unable to locate my fdc/stateside accessories price comparison list for kersti.  

car washing - we paid close attention to all the instructions for new cars, including the 4k rpm limit and the washing.  we washed our car by hand with a chamois, sponges and a bucket we bought when we got there.  we used very, very little dishwashing detergent and lots of water.  we washed after each ferry ride, whenever we got really, really dirty, and whenever we were going somewhere the car might be a point of presentation (like just before turn-in).  we had plenty of opportunity to show our car off to europeans who appreciate the design and cost and were drawn to the special license plates.

had one other thought on the test track - it is a 'test track' not a 'race track'?
    '02 V70XC, white, can be seen in Volvo OSD DVD

Default Imported post

coastal,

if you can remove the previous three replies, assuming this on gets the two jpg files up, i would appreciate it.

'02 V70XC, white, can be seen in Volvo OSD DVD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12