Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Driver Door - hit lock on fob then it'll unlock...

Before I get on to the thread subject a few things to share: 1- The "Service Alarm System" displays when you start up, 2- The Cruise Control light comes on (only if you press within the first few miles) and the cruise will work for a little while then just stops and will not come on again. Both of these issues have been present for so many years I can't remember, possibly 5 or 6? They're not as important as thread subject as far as use of car and feeling it is safe when you leave it somewhere.

Recently my wife mentioned that when she locks the car the lights flash as usual and she hears the doors lock, but she hears the sound of a door unlocking (driver's door). If she hits the lock on the fob the door locks and then immediately unlocks BTW: no lights flash after the initial lock. Does the same thing if we are inside the car and lock the doors from the lock button on the door.

Last night she just came in after shopping and said "this is really getting to be a PIA, I can't lock the car and if have stuff in it then need to go into another store how do I know it will still be there". I went out and observed all doors, which except for the drivers door were all locked. I pressed the lock button on the fob and the door locked (no light flash) and then immediately unlocked. I opened the door and noticed lights flashing (alarm I guess) but no siren. After a series of opening and closing doors it finally flashed the lights and stayed locked -> I think (with all doors closed) I unlocked the doors, opened the left rear door and closed it then pressed the lock button on the fob it finally stayed locked. Funny thing is, if I'm working on the car with the driver door unlocked (hit unlock button on fob once) and end up not going back to the car for a little while (fob is on tool box not in car and doors, hood, tailgate are all closed) it will self lock as it always has.

I've read about the cruise not working being related to the security module battery not recharging / needs new battery and the process for repair, but just haven't been able to get to it. The cruise not working is indeed a bummer and would be nice to have working again but just one of those things that isn't critical. However, not being able to lock the car is critical. HELP!?

Thinking this whole door not locking is related to "Service Alarm System" and "Cruise" not working???

Oh, doubt this is related to present situation but thought worth mentioning: about 10 years back I was using this car daily and would notice the passenger door just unlock and then lock then finally it wouldn't lock unless I pushed down the manual lock stick on the door. Then I noticed the window and side mirror wouldn't work at all. Turned out the passing door lock, window, mirror module needed to be replaced "and" new unit programed to the car by the Volvo dealer.
    "01" XC70, Polar Blue Metallic, Oak Leather, no 3rd seat, wife's ride.
    "99" Dodge Ram 2500 P/U, QC, 4X4, 8' bed, Cummins, Auto, tweaked a wee bit-522rwhp/998rwtq - my toy.

Can the driver's door be locked (and stay locked) using the key?
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Mr. X., Thanks. Will have to try that. In my search before posting in a few unrelated to "door lock/unlock" threads, I noticed some people mentioned the "key trick"??? Anything like locking and unlocking 4-5 times with the key??? Regardless I'll try using the key and see what happens, then reply.
    "99" Dodge Ram 2500 P/U, QC, 4X4, 8' bed, Cummins, Auto, tweaked a wee bit-522rwhp/998rwtq - my toy.

I unlocked with key fob, hit twice to unlock all doors, opened and closed driver door then used the key to lock. It popped right back up, turn key to lock same thing, after 4 or 5 times it stayed down. Unlock with key, turned twice to unlock all doors and relic with key, same thing pops back up. I read a thread on another site where WD-40 was sprayed down into the lock stem and into the key hole with very good results = this worked for about 7 of 8 folks who tried this. Going to give it a try and see what happens. More to come....

Default WD-40 Did the fix!!!

Unbelievably WD-40 seems to have fixed the situation!!! Removed grommet from the door lock stalk, sprayed 2 - 3 bursts (2-3 seconds each) and then pushed the door key lock weather window open with a dental tool/pick another 2-3 bursts and then locked with fob, it popped up again. Hit the door lock stalk down 3-4 times closed door and used the fob to lock - it stayed locked. I repeated the unlock/lock with the fob 8-9 times and it stayed locked each time. Walked up the street to talk to my neighbor for a bit, came back unlocked/locked and it seems to be working as designed. We'll see as time goes by.

YEA!!!

Research pays off! One advantage with owning these dinosaurs is that a lot of the problems that come up have been experienced by others already. So if you dig around enough, the solution may be out there. In your case, enough gunk may have accumulated in the locking mechanism to prevent it from operating correctly. Unless maybe there was a dirty electrical contact somewhere? Hope your fix is permanent!
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Summer: Victoria, B.C.; Winter: Sun Peaks, B.C.

I have had some glitches where the car locks itself so I don't close the door if I get out with the car still running even with locks in the unlock position.

Back to the old - lock with fob and it unlocks the driver door. Re-WD'ed and it works a bit then back to the old unlock deal. Hope this spring I can get into door cavity and clean it up or find a used unit in the salvage yard.

Note - WD40 was designed as a water dispersant during WWII it is not a lubricant, for that I recommend white lithium based spray grease.

WD-40 indeed was created as you say, however it has many uses. One such use is as a cleaning agent, as is the case with the above. Can't argue with sucess... We I guess if someone wanted to they could argue with anything

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast