Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Imported post

We've had our 2002 XC70 for one year now and we just had two problems come up. Last week the Mrs. was filling up the car and the gas door sprung off. Upon looking closer it appears as if the steel spring joint came of the plastic hinge. I can't find any broken parts on the hinge, though. Then, a week later the left front lowbeam failed - the computer came on.

I called the dealer (Martens in DC) and they told me it would be $55 to fix the gas door. This seemed odd to me, to boot, the person taking my schedule said it happened with some frequency and said it was the result of, e.g., pulling the door too forward to get the gas in. I asked the Mrs. and she said this wasn't the case. So, my question is, should I demand this be covered and not pay the $55. I also pressume the front buld will be under warrenty, but did not ask.

Does anyone have any ideas or had a similar experience?

Other than that the car is running fine and we're very happy. Saw a new 04 and I liked the small touches (e.g., chrome rings, slightly new panel).

Thanks,

Patrick
    2002 Black, Beige, Premium, Touring and Thule Rack.

Default Imported post

This happened to my wife a few months ago. Just give Jaffarian Volvo 800-323-6805 (http://www.volvopartsworld.com/index.html)
    a call and order a new hinge. The spring should be ok. I believe the part cost about 9.00 and took 10 minuets to replace. Just make sure you have the spring install correctly in the hinge and door before you mount it. You can not remove the hinge or install the spring after the hinge is mounted to the car without breaking the fasteners.
    '01 XC/Ash Gold-Taupe/Cold Wthr,Touring,Prem,Sun Rf and Versatility.

Default Imported post

Patrick,

This fuel filler door should absolutely be covered under warranty.  Just because they've seen that failure before doesn't mean it's your fault.

We bought at Martens (best price / selection) and I've only been back once for warranty work (center armrest / cupholder).  I did need to get the Service Manager (not writer) involved but he agreed to cover it.

If it's really as easy as fix as Philip says it is, Martens should not hesitate to do this under warranty.

Let us know the outcome, dealrer feedback is always helpful.

Tom
    2010 T6 - Climate, Convenience, Premium Audio, RSE, Moonroof, ABL
    2002 V70XC, sold to move to Japan

2014 Moto Guzzi Stelvio

Default Imported post

My fuel door (MY02) also fell off the end of September, and will be replaced under warranty, i just am not making the trip to the dealer just for that, will wait for the next oil change
    11 Flamenco Red T6 w/Espresso interior. Replaced 08 Ruby Red w/Esspresso interior. Replaced 04 Ruby red w/wing and full tint. Replaced 02 Ruby Red.
    Wife's car; 12 XC60 T6 White replaced 05 Ruby Red XC70 replaced 99 V70XC Sandstone

Unhappy Very fragile...

Quote Originally Posted by velomonkey
    (...) Last week the Mrs. was filling up the car and the gas door sprung off. Upon looking closer it appears as if the steel spring joint came of the plastic hinge. I can't find any broken parts on the hinge, though. (...)
    Well, it happened to my Mrs. too today. Seems that the plastic hinge fitted on the car snapped and the door broke loose in the Mrs. hand! The bracket seems to be very frail for such a heavy little door.

Another trip to the dealer...
    Raynald
    Former owner of a 2001 V70XC Nautic Blue
    Sept 2003 - April 2007
    « Sold » with 167,427 km on the clock, to my stepson...
    Still proudly showing volvoXC.com Sticker for posterity !!!

I think there's a deeper question here...why are all these women so angry at the gas doors? I think it's a conspiracy, and that they're all trying to say, "See? I told you I don't like to get gas. This is what happens when I have to fill up the car!"
    2008 Ice White/Graphite Leather XC70
    1986 Vespa T5

It happened to me--caused by weight of gas hose on top of door----went to dealer & they too said it happened frequently and fixed it in 10 min under warrent--"it does happen to men too"---merv
    2010 XC60 3.2AWD; 2004 XC70 OSD both models

Default fuel door fell off.

I was reading in my search today about the fuel door falling off due to plastic hinge breaking. My fuel door fell off from the water pressure at the car wash on a reacent trip to Utah. It had snowed and I took my car for a quick wash to get the road salt/sand off the car, when the fuel door fell off, it seems just due to the water pressure as it was a touchless quick wash. I was wondering if any one knows the part number for the plastic hinge.

P.S. Happy THANKSGIVING.

Lightbulb Part number

Plastic hinge part #30649879, $19.46. Pretty weak part for a so heavy door...
    Raynald
    Former owner of a 2001 V70XC Nautic Blue
    Sept 2003 - April 2007
    « Sold » with 167,427 km on the clock, to my stepson...
    Still proudly showing volvoXC.com Sticker for posterity !!!

XCelerate Guest

Unhappy € 17.74 total, € 8.63 for part #30649879

It happened to me too half a year ago: the small door fell off and was damaged. The dealer replaced the plastic hinge for € 17.74 including labor and tax. No warranty.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast