Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil leak!

Default Imported post

Bad news this evening:  there was oil on the garage floor and the new XC70 was down a quart (only 3300 miles on it)!  I removed the plastic protective panel under the engine, cleaned up the drippings, added oil and started the car raised on a lift.  The oil is seeping from some point above and to the left of the oil filter (facing from the front of the car) and below the compressor belts.  Tried to identify the location with a mirror but the poor light and tight space didn't help.  Will call the dealer in the morning but thought maybe someone on the list has some insight......?
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Default Imported post

Bill, are you sure it’s not the filter? Have you had an oil change done at any kind of “quick lube” place? Can you check to see if the filter is tight? Get to the dealer and good luck…let us know what it was eventually….sorry to hear about the problem.
    2004 XC70 OSD May 26, 2003 Nautic Blue, taupe leather interior, prem. pkg, Volvo/Thule standard crossbars, rear skid plate, rear cargo net, Tellus wheels with Pirelli STR's.

Default Imported post

Kayaking,
    Unfortunately, it's definitely not the filter.  The filter housing was completely dry.  While I was under the car with the engine running,  I was able to watch the drips coming down the side of what I'll call for lack of a better phrase the oil pan (but which seems to be much more than the typicval old oil pan) while the filter stayed totally clean.  
    Bill
    Bill
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Default Imported post

Got the car into the dealer this morning.  Informed it has a defective pressure relief valve.  Part has to be shipped in.  Sure hope 3371 miles with a defective valve didn't cause any damage....  The lowest the oil droped was about a quart and a half low when the problem revealed itself....
    Bill
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Default Imported post

At least it was a simple fix and not a crack somewhere....!

Good news.  See if they will test your oil to make sure there is no sign of damage?  Since the car is new, the test is likely to give odd results anyway (right, Jason?)  Worth a shot and it shows your concerned?
    Current Volvos
    2012 XC70, OSD, Twilight Bronze/Espresso
    2008 C70, OSD, Celestial Blue/Cream Sovereign

Former Volvos
    2009 XC70 Oyster/Black
    2006 S60R Black Sapphire/Nordkap
    2003 XC70, OSD, Ash/Espresso
    2000 S40, Ice White/Black

Default Imported post

Thanks for posting that info.

Had you changed oil within the 3300 miles ? I ask this as kayaking did ask and you didn't answer.

What bothers me about this incident is that it suddenly occured after some 3300 miles. What were the driving conditions immediately prior to discovering the oil leak? Could the leak started off being very small and consequently unnoticed for a while and then progressively worsened to the point of being discovered?

I understand what a pressure valve is but why does the oil system require one I wonder ? What would cause the pressure in the oil system to exceed some level? I have to assume that dumping oil because of excessive pressure is more beneficial than letting the pressure build up. Maybe Jason can explain this.

If the oil pressure valve isn't in fact defective then the root cause needs to be found.

My advice would be to make sure the pressure relief valve is in fact defective as if it's not and they replace it and you still have oil leaking then the oil system needs exmining for soome form of blockage. Could be that there's a Swedish sock in the system. ...or worse still a Swedish meatball is clogging up the works.  

Seriously though -- I would ask politely about how they determined the pressure relief valve was defective. Oil dripping out of the valve may be an indication of some other problem within the oil system.

Post back.
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Son's '01 S60 2.3L T5,Maya Gold,96Kmi
    Son's '03 XC70 Platinum Green (OSD)
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '86 745 GLE 6-Cyl-Turbo Diesel,Graphite,255Kmi
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son
    SOLD '03 XC70, '04 S60R, '07 S60R

Default Imported post

Barry,
    Thanks for your reply.
    Oil had never been changed.  Thursday I should have the opportunity to talk with the mechanic actually working on the car and can hopefully peg down how he reached this analysis.
    There were never any adverse driving/operating problems.  I discovered it only because I noticed oil on my garage floor.
    Bill
    Bill
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Default Imported post

Barry,
    I decided not to wait until Thursday & called the service department to try to get more information.  Unfortunately the mechanic who had worked on my car was not there but the clerk who spoke to me earlier was and  he corrected his earlier statement about a "valve" and said what he should have said was that there was some form of leak in the "high pressure oil line."  I really wish there was a reasonable way to get a shop manual for this car....
    Bill
    Bill
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Default Imported post

The rest of the story: A New Engine!
    Expected a call today to come retrieve my 03 with the leaking oil line replaced.  Not quite.  The call was that a nick was found on an engine surface precluding a proper gasket seal and Volvo is replacing the engine.....
    Bill
    Bill
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Default Imported post

WOW    That's a major snafu for Volvo. How long did they say they will require your car for the engine exchange/install procedure. Also, does VIN change with engine replacement and how does VADIS cope with such a major upgrade to your car?

Hmmm -- your car will now be younger and more eager and you will have to go thru the 'breakin' process again.

Keep us posted.
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Son's '01 S60 2.3L T5,Maya Gold,96Kmi
    Son's '03 XC70 Platinum Green (OSD)
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '86 745 GLE 6-Cyl-Turbo Diesel,Graphite,255Kmi
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son
    SOLD '03 XC70, '04 S60R, '07 S60R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast