Default New member very interested in buying a 2004-2010 XC90 AWD

My mint 1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 5 speed which I owned from day one with one km on it was recently written off, may she rest in peace, she was a trusty steed & is sorely missed. So, I am definitely in the market 2004-2010 XC 90 AWD V6 or even a 2.5T. Since I am buying used and have not owned a Volvo before any recommendations on what years are better then others, what motors, etc., what to look for specifically that could be a current or future problem/repair when Volvo shopping? Any advice will be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ThorInc View Post
    My 1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 5 speed which I owned from day one with one km on it was recently written off, may she rest in peace, she was a trusty steed I am in the market 2004-2010 XC 90 AWD V6 or even a 2.5T.

Since I am buying used and have not owned a Volvo

what years are better then others, what motors, etc.,

what to look for specifically that could be a current or future problem/repair when Volvo shopping?
    Sorry to hear of your loss.

Question one - why do you want to buy a Volvo and what kind of service life do you expect from it?

If you are used to (and appreciate) the lack of $ being spent on your Toyota the past 20 years - I can promise - you will not be happy with the repairs, and needed repair time and expense in owning a Volvo compared to a Japanese car.

Cars to avoid - 2003-2005-6 xc90 T6 - these cars used a twin turbo 3~liter inline 6. Great engine with ~275 hp and a GM transmission that would melt every 22k miles or so. DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE.

The other engine option is the time tested 5 cyl turbo, used since 1993, a reliable engine (with oil changes) a little underpowered, available in 2wd (that spins the front tires too easily) or AWD (that might/is broken now and $$$$ to fix.) The transmission used with the 5 cyl is the same that has all the problems in the xc70/v70/s60/ - expect to replace it in less than 200k miles for $5000 or so.

Volvo offered a v-8 - cool engine, nice sound. Still weird because it is sideways - and just wait until you need to replace the $1000 alternator. Wo hoo!

Later years used the Fomoco/Volvo/Landrover inline 6 with a reasonable transmission. This engine uses an unusual design for the alternator/water pump/ps/ac compressor. A water pump can end up costing $1500 - $2000 by the time you replace all the worn components near it. There is no low pressure sending unit on this engine - only an oil level sending unit that may or may not work!

My experience comes from owning (and working at) a Volvo repair shop from 1980-2018 with 7 busy bays. So I am used to seeing broken Volvos in all flavors from 122s to 2016 4 cylinders. In the last 10 years I started taking in customers other cars (after they got frustrated and bought Japanese) and was amazed how little repair work they needed.

An example of a screwed up repair on an xc90 (2003-2015) - if your ac/heat fan or the electronic control unit for the fan speed breaks (they do) on a xc/v/s/60/70 - it takes about an hour to replace the fan and control unit. An xc90 requires the dash to be removed, there's not enough room to get to the screws to remove the fan with the ac box mounted in the car. An hour job turns into a 8 hour job.

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    Sorry to hear of your loss.

Question one - why do you want to buy a Volvo and what kind of service life do you expect from it?

If you are used to (and appreciate) the lack of $ being spent on your Toyota the past 20 years - I can promise - you will not be happy with the repairs, and needed repair time and expense in owning a Volvo compared to a Japanese car.

Cars to avoid - 2003-2005-6 xc90 T6 - these cars used a twin turbo 3~liter inline 6. Great engine with ~275 hp and a GM transmission that would melt every 22k miles or so. DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE.

The other engine option is the time tested 5 cyl turbo, used since 1993, a reliable engine (with oil changes) a little underpowered, available in 2wd (that spins the front tires too easily) or AWD (that might/is broken now and $$$$ to fix.) The transmission used with the 5 cyl is the same that has all the problems in the xc70/v70/s60/ - expect to replace it in less than 200k miles for $5000 or so.

Volvo offered a v-8 - cool engine, nice sound. Still weird because it is sideways - and just wait until you need to replace the $1000 alternator. Wo hoo!

Later years used the Fomoco/Volvo/Landrover inline 6 with a reasonable transmission. This engine uses an unusual design for the alternator/water pump/ps/ac compressor. A water pump can end up costing $1500 - $2000 by the time you replace all the worn components near it. There is no low pressure sending unit on this engine - only an oil level sending unit that may or may not work!

My experience comes from owning (and working at) a Volvo repair shop from 1980-2018 with 7 busy bays. So I am used to seeing broken Volvos in all flavors from 122s to 2016 4 cylinders. In the last 10 years I started taking in customers other cars (after they got frustrated and bought Japanese) and was amazed how little repair work they needed.

An example of a screwed up repair on an xc90 (2003-2015) - if your ac/heat fan or the electronic control unit for the fan speed breaks (they do) on a xc/v/s/60/70 - it takes about an hour to replace the fan and control unit. An xc90 requires the dash to be removed, there's not enough room to get to the screws to remove the fan with the ac box mounted in the car. An hour job turns into a 8 hour job.
    Some really solid info right here ^^^^^ , thank you!!! So expect to have repairs take much longer and cost quite a bit more. For some reason I have a real strong interest in owning an XC90 but I will have to be very diligent in my search.

I'd limit your search to 2011-on, or at least 2008-on.

I bought my 2011 just this past spring. The newer 6-cylinder is quite nice, and the XC90 is quite the comfy lux-o-barge. That said, I wouldn't recommend these cars to anyone not turning their own wrenches. The 150K mile service is spendy. From a DIY point of view, I'm liking mine.

I really wanted a mid-2000's Highlander, but the XC90 was a relative bargain: No one wants a big Euro car in Ohio.

-Ryan
    1987 245
    1989 245 GL
    1991 745 Dog Waggin' 2.0
    1995 945 Turbo
    2011 XC90 3.2L AWD
    2016 Fiat 500X Pop - Wife-mobile