Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2004 with 202K miles, still in mint cond, but needs a couple things

This was my car, but it became my son's high school car and now sitting waiting for my daughter to get her license and becomes hers. Body and interior are mint and hard to believe for the age and mileage, but highway miles and a garage and really help with how a car looks. A couple things are going on and need attention:

- Headlights dim several time in the first several minutes of running and there's a associated relay click under the dash, so need to look into that.
    - Front end could benefit from new control arms, so I need to order from FCP Euro
    - Check engine light came one in the past month, need to pull codes and see what it is. On my last XC it was hose near the rear AWD system that was a big job to replace, so I put on a rubber glove and slathered it with silicon and sealed the cracks in the hose.
    - Alarm light is on and if the car sits for a while the battery is low, battery is new as of 3 years ago and the original Volvo battery lasted about 11 years.
    - A/C clutch needs shimming or may just replace the entire pump
    - Slight oil residue around the power steering reservoir, purchased a replacement to install

This may sound like a lot, but for a car with 202K with all original CV joints, transmission and AWD system, I'm impressed and have no issue putting in a little preventive maintenance.

D-

These things last a long time and the body and interior hold up very well.

There are a lot of things running even when the car is off (like the security system, clock, etc) so eventually it can run down the battery. But you should be good for a few weeks. If it's anything like my Saabs the alarm module has a battery in it that can go bad and need repair/replacement.

When was the last timing belt/pulleys done on that car?

I replace the batt in the alarm module several years back, but there was corrosion from the old battery failure. I hoped it would be fine, but might be time to retire the alarm module and use a work around after I remove it.

Timing and serpentine belt I replaced several years back and I did it well before it was due, along with the idler and tensioner as well. The issue is up in New England our winter potholed roads eat car suspension and the P2 Volvo control arms just don't hold up like other cars.

I have records for every penny spend on this car since new and keep tabs on what needs to be done.

D-

Sounds like you've got everything under control!

Oh yeah glove test the PCV and see if you have proper suction there... on my '07 I caught the PCV pipe on the front of the engine up to the valve cover broken.

Quote Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
    Sounds like you've got everything under control!

Oh yeah glove test the PCV and see if you have proper suction there... on my '07 I caught the PCV pipe on the front of the engine up to the valve cover broken.

Entire PCV system was replaced in the past 70K miles, but keeping and eye on it.

D-