Default 15 years later & NO ONE but dealer can make a key??? 2004 XC90

I’ve dug around on various forums searching for information on how to get a spare key made for my 2004 XC90 ....

Here is the situation:
    Lost my switchblade key fob. I have the backup one. I’m down to one key. Weaver Brothers in Raleigh, NC wants $400 to make a second key and said there is NOT an cheaper option. Volvo of Cary, NC wants $300. Called around to we’ll known locksmiths (Busse’s and MakeAKey both of Raleigh, NC) and they both said the same thing...We don’t make Volvo keys.

So this is my question:

I am supposed to believe that Volvo’s key encryption chip is SO INSANE that NO ONE in 15 years has figured out how to make a duplicate other than Volvo?

Ive read about people placing the chip behind the dash and all those tricks, but I don’t really think I want to do all that YouTube hacking. Just want a spare key. Doesn’t need to have a fob. What is the deal in 2018 on this situation?

One more thing... My security system needs maintenance light is on. Anyone ever have problems a new key made and programmed under this condition? I have a Volvo specific code reader
    and have fixed everything on this tank independently, just haven’t gotten around to pulling a security alarm from PickYourPart yet...cuz I’m still carrying comprehensive insurance.

Thanks for any help or direction you may provide.

Wow. Nothing???? Buehler? Buehler? I will now conclude that a new key ordered from Volvo dealer is only option. I will post an update if i crack the volvo security wall that is now 15 years old. My son says no one has made a fake key cuz no one wants to steal a volvo. SCOFF!!! Best investment ever I say. 15 years old and looks brand new and a dream to own and maintain. Wonderfully designed. Damn the key thing tho. I decided to just roll with one key as the replacement key can be made within 24 hrs if i lose the one key i have. Uber for a few days seems like my only risk. If anyone has any new ideas that haven’t been posted (oh wait, NO ONE has posted so i’m open to both support of my decision or your whimsical reply. Just someone PLEASE reply!!!! ��

Quote Originally Posted by RNNC View Post
    Weaver Brothers wants $400, Volvo of Cary, NC wants $300.

Just want a spare key.
    Have a valet key made, it's a plain key without the remote. (Still has a chip that the car has to be programmed to see) Locally the dealer used to make them for ~$160 (I last check over a year ago). If you decide you want a remote later you can purchase and have programmed the triangle shaped remote used in earlier Volvos.

I bought a new switchblade and fob with all the ID numbers from THIS eBay seller for $28.02. All brand new, and had the thing cut after driving all over San Diego to find a guy that could cut it for $35. It was cut perfectly and works doors and ignition locks, but I have not programmed it. I have a DICE unit and have been dragging my feet on subscribing and "buying" the software (isn't it really "renting"?), The dealer didn't bat an eye when I told him what I have and asked if they could program it and just said $140, so they don't seem to be strangers to the scenario. I figure that I'll ultimately get another owner to go in with me on a VIDA subscription party; maybe a group. Been away, a lot, so haven't followed through.