Default 2007 XC70 Idle/stall issues

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and new to Volvo ownership in general. I purchased a 2007 XC70 with approx 150k on it about two months ago. It was a company car that my company auctioned off in house. All general maintenance had been done on the car, and quite a few sensors replaced before I bought it. Long story long, the car was based in NY and the company wasn't willing to keep up the emissions test because the "Time for Regular Maintenance" message was popping up. I live in Florida so it's not a problem.

So I get the car and love it. It drives great, gets around 21 mpg has a roar in the front end, so I replace both front wheel bearing assemblies. Change the oil (all synthetic per spec) and life is good.

About two weeks ago though, I crank the car up cold (first thing in the morning) and it idles up to around 1500 rpm, drops down to around 700 and when I put it in gear it sputters and stalls. Crank it, it fires, revs up, sputters and stalls. Does this 3-4 more times, I'm thinking it's just cold-natured. So I crank it, hold gas until the temp gauge moves up (about 45 sec- 1 minute) and it runs fine.*

Now every time I crank it, I have to go through this procedure (crank, hold gas at around 2,000 for a minute or so) and then it runs fine. No sputtering at stop lights/signs, smooth acceleration, idles for 20 minutes no problem, etc. If I don't go through that procedure the car will not crank and run, just fires, sputters and stalls.

​​​​​​​Any ideas?

I have a similar problem with my 2001 V70 X/C, and am curious if you found out what the issue was with yours? I recently replaced the PCV system (including dropping the oil pan and cleaning out the ventilation channel), and replaced camshaft seals and took care of the serpentine belt and timing belt (those were covered with oil after the intake cam seal popped off due to overpressure from the PCV being clogged).

Is your car throwing any codes/CEL?

Possibly a dirty MAF (mass air flow) filter? Apparently you can test to see if its causing problems by unplugging the electrical connection to it, starting the car, and seeing if you get a steady idle.
    If car idles fine with no sputtering when your MAF is unplugged, this is a sign your MAF may not be functioning correctly. You can search this site for more info and how to clean the MAF.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Quote Originally Posted by wisecane View Post
    I purchased a 2007 XC70 with approx 150k , I crank the car up cold (first thing in the morning) and it idles up to around 1500 rpm, drops down to around 700 and when I put it in gear it sputters and stalls. Crank it, it fires, revs up, sputters and stalls. Does this 3-4 more times, I'm thinking it's just cold-natured. So I crank it, hold gas until the temp gauge moves up (about 45 sec- 1 minute) and it runs fine.*

Now every time I crank it, I have to go through this procedure (crank, hold gas at around 2,000 for a minute or so) and then it runs fine. No sputtering at stop lights/signs, smooth acceleration, idles for 20 minutes no problem, etc. If I don't go through that procedure the car will not crank and run, just fires, sputters and stalls.

​​​​​​​Any ideas?
    Possible fuel pump/fuel pressure sensor/fuel pump control module. But could be a large air leak that the O2 sensor takes a while to compensate for. For that there should be a code stored. Or could be a erratic temp sending unit, either ambient or engine (in the thermostat housing)

Someone needs to scan the car (Preferably using VIDA) and monitor all those values when first started, to get an idea for to a solution.