Default TCM and poor shifting

Greeting all, I recently purchased a 2003 xc70 for what i am hoping would be a song ( $750 at a local dealership) and i am running into issues with the tranny. On the ride home shifting was hard up and down and was also racing between gears. With no code pulled a local mechanic said there are major problems. once the tranny code were pulled it came up with 0100 - TCM miscommunication code as i understand. Today I pulled the battery to reset the TCM and surprisingly it shifts beautifully. i suspect that it may come back however, does any one have any thoughts or experience with this? Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfarmer View Post
    recently purchased, running into issues with the tranny, shifting was hard up and down and was also racing between gears. now it shifts beautifully, i suspect that it may come back
    The transmission used in these cars are know for the symptoms you described. MIGHT be fixed with a valve body, or may take a replacement transmission. There is a thread here titled "Poll: '01 and '02 xc70 owners only, when did your transmission die?" but it pertains to ALL 01 and up 5 cylinder transmissions.

Good luck

You should put your questions in the appropriate forums - If this is a xc90 with the 6 cylinder, the transmissions are WORSE than the 5 cylinder cars.