Question Bargain front struts to get by?

Have an '04 XC70 and both front struts are leaking, I suspect that it is mainly riding on the springs. Haven't got the funds for a set of Sachs struts. Would bargain struts such as Sensen or Duralo be OK, for a while at least? I do know better, and try using OEM where I can but have an immediate need.
    Greg,
    Hellertown, PA USA

Current ride: '04 XC70

Bargain struts suck. You’ll be replacing them in a year and regretting doing the work.

Strut replacement requires an alignment, so, take off $100+ from your savings. Deduct the cost of your time because you’ll be repeating the work.

Still think you’re saving money?
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Years back ours broke L/F spring as we pulled out of driveway. Thank god I heard an odd little "pop" as the front end rolled off the apron and onto the street. I backed up and took a look to find the bottom of the coil just broke? Ordered 4 new springs from FCP or IPD, I forget? But, here's the best part, figured I'd see what the local parts houses had for struts... Autozone "only" carried Bilsteins = OEM! So that's what and where I got the 4 new struts. Don't cheapo out on Suspension parts, you'll be sorry...
    "01" XC70, Polar Blue Metallic, Oak Leather, no 3rd seat, wife's ride.
    "99" Dodge Ram 2500 P/U, QC, 4X4, 8' bed, Cummins, Auto, tweaked a wee bit-522rwhp/998rwtq - my toy.

Hi
    Here’s what you do. Make some calls to junk yards and used auto parts dealers. I found a pair of Sachs struts in great shape for about $100 if i recall. Also try car-part.com. Just make sure they are a name brand and the right ones for the car.

At FCP Euro a pair of Sachs struts is $191 (cheaper than all vendors that came up in a Google shopping search). At autoanything.com (Google search... never heard of them) a pair of Sensen struts is $128 (cheapest vendor in the search). For $32 more per strut, stay home rather than going out to eat a couple of nights and buy the Sachs. If a $200 car repair sinks the ship... something isn't right. What are you going to do when your alternator takes a dump (which it will) and renders your XC a paperweight? That's a $200 part.

Fortunately, the struts can wait until you have the money... 8 months at $30/month, done. Some other failures like an alternator couldn't. Be prepared.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by gary g View Post
    Hi
    junk yards and used auto parts dealers.
    If I were dead broke, this is the route I'd go.

The thing is (as already mentioned), since you have to get it aligned and stuff after, it's easier to just get a set of cheapie-but-goodie Sachs with the spring seats and bearing plates. It's a job MOST people only ever do once. By the time you need it again at 200K, you may not even own the car anymore.

Well...don't hate me, but last month I pulled the trigger on the Sensen quick struts. My mechanic installed them with no issues whatsoever. The alignment was not too far off, he only had to heat the tie rod ends to loosen them for adjustment. First off, the front was raised about 2" which leveled the car. The old struts were gone, I was riding on the springs. Second thing I noticed is that there was nothing unusual. No noises, and the car generally feels tighter going through turns. We'll see how it goes and I'll report back when/if they fail.
    Greg,
    Hellertown, PA USA

Current ride: '04 XC70

No need for hate - hopefully they last you a good, long time and all is well!