Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1999 v70xc 2.4 turbo throwing unknown code

Hey there, new to the volvo world. I've got an interesting code P1332 that's being picked up by my code reader and I can't find what that code means. Any guidance is appreciated.

Also, I've got a P0302 code that's also being thrown, misfire on cylinder 2. I was told this one could be the VVT solenoid. Does that diagnosis hold any water? I don't want to do the shotgun repair and just throw parts at this thing and hope it fixes it.

If you guys need more info, just ping me and I'll get back to you asap.

Thanks in advance!

I have no experience with code P1332 but dealing with it is discussed at https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...ic.php?t=21162
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Quote Originally Posted by Smelserm View Post
    I've got a P0302 code that's also being thrown, misfire on cylinder 2. I was told this one could be the VVT solenoid.
    A #2 missfire code would usually not come from a bad VVT solenoid. It would come from a missfire on #2 from a bad/worn spark plug, coil, compression or injector problem, maybe an intake air leak - listed in order of probability. Are the spark plugs new - are somewhat new? Then swap #2 coil (and plug) to another cylinder, erase code and see what comes back BEFORE you buy a new coil or framulator or muffler bearing and replace it randomly hoping to fix something.

You could have VVT solenoid problems, but the simplest is low oil level (=low pressure) causing cam timing codes. Solenoids do go bad, but if the cam timing is off a few degrees (due to a poor installation technique) that can set a code also. Or a clogged oil line/screen going to the solenoid.

VIDA can test the cam reset valve function - if that's available to you.

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    A #2 missfire code would usually not come from a bad VVT solenoid. It would come from a missfire on #2 from a bad/worn spark plug, coil, compression or injector problem, maybe an intake air leak - listed in order of probability. Are the spark plugs new - are somewhat new? Then swap #2 coil (and plug) to another cylinder, erase code and see what comes back BEFORE you buy a new coil or framulator or muffler bearing and replace it randomly hoping to fix something.

You could have VVT solenoid problems, but the simplest is low oil level (=low pressure) causing cam timing codes. Solenoids do go bad, but if the cam timing is off a few degrees (due to a poor installation technique) that can set a code also. Or a clogged oil line/screen going to the solenoid.

VIDA can test the cam reset valve function - if that's available to you.
    Thanks to both of you for your responses. I initially thought this would be the case, not the VVT. The evidence just didn't add up. It's got plenty of clean oil. This car has been very well cared for, I bought it from the second owner. I will do more trouble shooting as you suggested with plugs, wires, and coils. The problem symptoms just seem to be poor acceleration/low power when I should be getting plenty of boost. As far as VIDA, I'm unfamiliar what that is.

I'll make sure to keep my findings updated as I go along, but this is not my daily driver yet so it's not top priority.

Thanks, I'm digging into that link now.

Just getting into the trouble shooting. Holidays and work have had me really busy and not able to mess around. Can you tell me a little more about the cam reset valve function? I don't have a VIDA test tool, just a generic scanner.

Quote Originally Posted by Smelserm View Post
    Can you tell me a little more about the cam reset valve function?
    The cam timing valve uses oil pressure to vary the cam timing - ECU tells the valve when to send oil to the VVT to get the cam timing where it wants (for emissions and power maybe)
    A generic scanner may not be able to talk to that function (an illegal copy of VIDA 2014d (last one available) and a cloned chinese dice unit are available for less than $82 - if the one you receive actually works!, the first one cheap one i got did not)

So here's what I've done... Erased codes, drove for 30 miles before CEL came back on. The only code that is back is the p1332. I'm not getting any misfire codes at all. I pulled the plastic covers over the spark plugs and VVT solenoid. There is some oil that is pooled on the valve cover and some wires are in the oil. It looks like it's coming from the fill cap, really not that much. Oil level is fine, so it's not low oil level causing the code. Tomorrow I am going to check timing to ensure it's correct. I assume it's ok because the guy I bought it from said the timing belt and water pump is due for a change. It also doesn't look brand new, although the car has been really well kept. I'm tempted to skip the spark plug/coil swapping and go right to the solenoid replacement.

While I was driving around town waiting for the CEL to come back on, the car drove fine. I can hear the injectors making some noise under the hood, but nothing crazy. This is just a new format of vehicle for me so I'm learning/noticing a lot of things my older dumber cars don't exhibit.

UPDATE:
    I removed the VVT, and cleaned it with sea foam. Basically just turned it upside down and filled it up and let it sit for 48 hours. I changed it at the 24 hour mark. I installed it tonight, added some sea foam to the oil, not much, and did a test drive. 25 miles and no DTC and it ran fine. Tomorrow I'll take it to work, 60 mile round trip, and we will see how it does.

its up ok
    healthing.avablog.ir/vote1-5.php

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast