Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Did you ever figure this out? I noticed the same thing on my 04 XC. Turned out part of it was bad tires (cupping on all 4 tires.) They were Hankook Optimo. Only 13k on tires. They produced a bit of a rumbling sound. I replaced them yesterday with Continental contact tour Plus. Now I hear more of a whine at starting at about 55 mph. Nothing loud but its there. To test bearings I swerved left to right at lower speeds but no change in sound. I just replaced the differential oil but it still seems to be there. Bring to dealer later to have them listen.
    IF IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T FIX IT!
    04 Volvo XC70 5LT 143k "Floatey" Ruby Red, Valvoline 0W40
    07 Honda Accord V6 120k Silver, Napa 5W20 Blend
    07 Honda Accord L4 130k Bronze, Napa 5W20 Blend

Swerving left to right only tells you about the front hubs generally, I had to replace a rear hub because of a constant noise, just did both because i had the tools out, only one was bad though, aftermarket units two for 1/2 the price of one Volvo hub, easy to replace so I'll take that risk,
    Last edited by AKAMick; 06-26-2019 at 03:08 PM.
    Current Junk: Couple of worthless rusty old clapped out Volvo bricks, XC70's 02, 04 & Countless P.O.S's, Rust buckets, Junk cars,( 50W Oily cesspool Sludge) Stolen and other assorted rubbish cars, 1928 Jed Clampett Tourer, (8 hole cast iron lump, original rust and decay, 40W Straight Bacon Grease),

Just removed two original rear bearings at 260K mi while replacing the final drive. One was absolutely fine, couldn't tell the difference between it and the replacement. The other was feeling rough but not binding. Seems the OEM bearings last a looong time.Not sure the car will make it to 520K though

I am getting a similar noise, kind of a growling noise that gets louder with acceleration. If I put my foot on the brake while accelerating it diminishes. At low speed or not accelerating, the noise does not change. My gut tells me it's a front wheel bearing but maybe it is a rear?

2006 with 195,000 miles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12