I have some damage to my armrest on my 2006 XC70 and so I bought a nice used replacement....but I'd like to see if I can replace this part without removing all the pieces from the center (transmission) console. As far as I can tell, I should be able to do it by removing the hinge and slotting in the new armrest into the same hinge....but I can't figure out how to remove the two silver square caps that cover the hinge (and I'm afraid if I use too much force I'll break something!)
I have looked at a few diagrams on some websites, but they all show a simpler "round" cap on the hinge, not the one I have.

Anyone know how to remove these caps...?(see photo with arrows). The second photo is the armrest piece I'm looking to put in.

Thanks for any help.


Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180915_volvo_014red.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	8832

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180915_volvo_016.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	8833