Default XC70 turn signals intermittent

The turn signal instrument cluster indicators on my '03 XC70 started operating intermittently yesterday.

The actual turn signal lights on the outside are still working in both turn and hazard mode, but there's no sound from the "clicker," nor are the cluster indicator lights working.

Is this a situation that points to reflowing the DIM solder joints? I'm an electronics tech and have all the necessary tools.

The blue high-beam indicator also went intermittent some time ago.
    Last edited by Silvestris66; 09-15-2018 at 03:17 PM.

If you're able to reflow the solder joints, then, yeah, it's time to do that.

I've had the DIMs on both P2 cars in my signature redone by Xemodex a few years back, when they started acting up like you describe. I don't have your skill with a soldering iron...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

I don't usually work on surface mount components, but I know how and have the proper soldering station tips.

IMO, using surface mount components in cars has always been a bad idea, but it's the world we live in now. You wouldn't have this problem with through-hole components.

When I sold it in 1991, all the electronics in my 1964 Pontiac were still working fine after 27 years, none of this having a new nervous breakdown every month like on this one.

My '02 v70xc started doing intermittent turn signal type behavior. I could turn the signal stalk off, then back to a turn position and all would work.

I just did this yesterday so I've yet to see how well this worked. But wanted to throw it out there for those who may not do soldering.

1. Pulled the stalk assembly out of steering column. 3 torx 25 screws on bottom of steering column and 2 small phillips screws under the plastic steering column surround. youtube has a number of videos. :-)
    2. Take the little green circuit board loose from the now pulled out turn signal assemply; that has copper connection traces.
    3. I then wiped the traces and used the pencil eraser trick to brighten up the traces.
    4. I gently pulled the little copper "fingers" up a bit to make sure a good physical connection is being made inside the turn single device.