Default 01 xc70 130K miles: 2 issues (shifter-button + low-speed-steering-noise)

Two latest issues, service, and questions on the now >129,000 miled year 2001 xc70:

1. The plastic button on the shifter stick (that goes from park to drive to reverse etc) broke. (I was over 500 miles from home but I was able to move the shift without much problem with a little finesse). What would be the typical replace service, cost estimate, etc.?? (I'm not a DIYer here) Does just the button needs replacing Or is one forced to replace the whole shifter stick at higher cost??

2. At low speeds, there is a creaking sound upon steering (either in forward drive and reverse). Function of steering seems normal. ((I think at last service maybe same problem and they lubed steering grommet, and found the power steering pump, reservoir moist, but seems problem persisted to today)). What is most likely and other possible causes, fix remedy, and cost (I'm not a DIYer here)??

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by rhauptschein; 08-24-2018 at 08:51 AM.
    09 Toyota Prius, Sprectra Blue
    01 Volvo V70XC, Ice Blue, 7-seater, built 4-01
    85 Ford Country Squire, Beige Woody, V8, ~79K mi [RIP]
    70 Chevy Malibu, Forest Green, V8 (ret)

I think your best bet would be to email some online junkyards, giving them a photo of the gearshift lever, year, model and VIN. Ask for a quote on the gearshift knob/stalk assembly.

Then, you could study a YouTube on how to remove and replace this part, then decide if you want to bite it off yourself. If not, take the replacement part to a shop to have it done. It should take less than 1 hour.

Quote Originally Posted by rhauptschein View Post
    1. The plastic button on the shifter stick broke. Does just the button needs replacing Or is one forced to replace the whole shifter

2. At low speeds, there is a creaking sound upon steering (either in forward drive and reverse). (I'm not a DIYer here)??
    1. The release button comes with a new shift knob. That button was sold by itself for an 850 shift knob, not sure about a 01-07 v70. The shift knob is pressed onto the chrome shifter lever, I use a pry bar on the bottom of the knob as a lever and use the e brake handle as a fulcrum to pop the shift knob up. You obviously must disconnect the shift boot first which takes the most time if you avoid breaking or damaging anything. Unfortunately a new leather knob is about $100.

2. Creaking could be coming from a (no longer permanently lubricated) tie rod end. Replace the end if worn or loose (then realign) or squirt some lubricant in through a needle hole in the boot.
    Last edited by hoonk; 08-24-2018 at 01:32 PM.

The shift button is able to be pried out without too much effort. Local junkyard is a good place to look. or https://www.ipdusa.com/products/5773...hout-metal-pin
    Last edited by ericjp; 08-26-2018 at 04:56 PM.

If you haven't done anything yet, let me know
    I should have a couple of knobs (with buttons) laying around from when I put Wood knobs on from S80s.
    IPD sells button kit
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)