Default Has anyone replaced a prop shaft carrier bearing for a 2010 XC70

Hi gang,

This is a question regarding a 2010 XC70 T6, with 148,000 miles. I have a variable pitched whine that changes while accelerating and decelerating. Came on rather quickly and I have yet to get under the car to pull on the prop shaft to see if I can get any movement or wiggle. My real question is can I pull the carrier bearing. I read someplace that it is not serviceable which sounds impossible. I guess the other thought that I had was a bad rear wheel bearing.

Any suggestions or links would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
    Mike in Gloucester Co. NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Our third Volvo View Post
    My real question is can I pull the carrier bearing. I read someplace that it is not serviceable which sounds impossible.
    I think you are going to find that the bearing is not serviceable.

I have had my 2015 XC70 T6 at the dealership's service department several times, chasing an intermittent chirping noise I could hear while driving. Mileage is around 42k.

They replaced the water pump. I am not sure how this was diagnosed but it did not fix the noise.

The assistant service manager found a TSB that described a similar noise to what I was hearing. It was caused by an, "internal failure," of the PCV breather box. That also did not fix the noise.

Ultimately the driveshaft was replaced due to a bad front bearing. If they could simply replace the bearing, why wouldn't they do that instead of the entire driveshaft? Some might claim they are trying to run up the bill but the work was done under warranty so this was not the case. Anyway, that was the fix.

In looking for parts on line I don't see any driveshaft bearings listed separately. The bearings must be integral.

Not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure and I think it's crazy that the bearing cannot be replaced independently.

Hi Mike, I just responded to your other post, and then saw this one. My experience with a driveline 'hum' was caused by the rear differential pinion bearing. I did remove the prop shaft, and serviced the CV joints. The carrier bearing is not serviceable without cutting and re-welding the prop shaft, from what I have read and seen in reality. If it's bad, you have to buy a whole new prop shaft..... So much for low cost maintenance!

Quote Originally Posted by braggxc70 View Post
    Hi Mike, I just responded to your other post, and then saw this one. My experience with a driveline 'hum' was caused by the rear differential pinion bearing. I did remove the prop shaft, and serviced the CV joints. The carrier bearing is not serviceable without cutting and re-welding the prop shaft, from what I have read and seen in reality. If it's bad, you have to buy a whole new prop shaft..... So much for low cost maintenance!
    Late response but i hope it might help someone like myself in the future, but just spoke with Dave (incredibly helpful by the way) from Colorado driveshaft and he confirmed what your are saying about that bearing being welded on. Mine has completely separated from where it mounts and makes just an awful sound. As of writing this its $750 shipped and taxes included for a brand new shaft from colorado driveshaft. There is no core charge on these P3 shafts so they will not ask you to send yours back.

Block the front tires, and jack up both rear wheels off the ground. With the parking brake OFF, tranny in neutral, you can test these:
    rear wheel bearings: any play when rocking wheel side-to-side, top-to-bottom? Raspy sound when rotating wheel?
    rear axle / diff: any play when rotating wheel forward vs. backing-up direction? Any clunking sounds?
    2013 XC70 T6 Flamenco Red (hers)
    2015 XC70 T6 Seashell Metallic (his)
    past: 13 Volvos going back to '74 242 sedan