Default How to put P3 xc70 on jack stands?

I've been working on my RWD VOlvos a while ago, and now it seems that I am going to be taking care of my 11'xc70 myself again. With 740 I would use front cross-member and differential as lifting points for the floor jack, and then jack stands would go under the frame runners under the car. How is it done in P3 ?
    Checked FAQ and did forum search, but didn't seem to get a clear answer to that. Owner's manual is fuzzy, and VIDA mentions "Special tools" that look like some rubber cylinders.
    1) What is a good place to put a floor jack in the front and in the rear? Cross members? Frame runners?
    2) What are the good places for the jacks? Owner manual shows some areas behind the front wheels, but nothing in the rear?
    Last edited by 740gle; 07-24-2018 at 09:14 AM.

Not trying to give you negative information but my 2008 XC70 is the most difficult car I have ever tried to get into the air and I have a BendPak MD-6XL scissor lift. Even Volvos own document say adapters have to be used to lift it with a conventional lift. Before I got my lift I needed to lift the entire front end as high as I could to put struts and control arms on the car. I ended up using a heavy duty floor jack and a special lift bar that bolted to it that would spread the load to 2 pads and I placed them at the rear of the front subframe plates under the driver and passenger's foot well. I then was left with no place to put jack stand except under the cross bar itself and let the car back down on the stands. Volvo might care about safety but that do not give a Rat's behind about safely lifting and working on their cars. Just my opinion.

I also find this car quite annoying to lift.

There are good spots under the front seats - it's a big pad of metal that's ok to jack on, but I wouldn't put a jack stand there without a block of wood or something to spread the load out.

There are 'pinch weld' spots along each side also.

The front has the engine subframe which the suspension is all mounted to - this is a reasonable spot to jack on or use a jack stand - it's got to be able to support the car if the suspension is bolted there!

The rear is trickier - I usually end up jacking using the trailer hitch bar or the subframe around the differential or one of the lower control arms out near the tire. There really isn't a good spot back there.

Not to start the great Honda Bashing commentary, but I have 2 2008 Volvos, XC70 and S60 2.5T and 2 2013 Hondas, Accord and Crosstour. Crosstour has 5 designated jack points including the center front subframe and my Accord is the best of all with 6 designated jack points to lift the weight of the car with the recovery loop at the rear being one of them. Both Hondas are just made to fit my lift with no effort and both Volvos take me 3 times longer to put on my Scissor lift. Honda side points are built and reinforced to hold the weight of the car. XC70 requires special adapters not to bend any of the delicate pinch weld areas down the side of the car.

In the front, there are level points on the frame, in front of the wheels, where you can put a hydraulic jack or jack stand.

The rear is tricker. The frame is quite narrow in the back. The rear wheels are supported by a truss that is hinged to the frame within 12-15" of the centerline. If you lift the frame near the hinge point, it's safe for lifting only one side, but unsafe for lifting both sides (the support baseline being too short).

When lifting the wheel truss piece near the wheel, a hydraulic jack should be oriented with the rolling direction of the jack perpendicular to the rear axle.
    This assures that the jack will not roll when the angle of the truss is changing.

rear lift with one jack at 33 sec

Having the same problem lifting a 2015 XC70. Don't know where to put the jack stands when I use the car jack to lift from the side pinch-weld locations (lift points). I don't have a hydraulic jack, but if I did, it would not be clear where to lift from, especially the back, and where to put the jack stands--which I would prefer to put on the side pinch-welds.

My 1998 V90/965 was easy to lift and placing the jack stand was OK. This XC70 is problematic.