Default If you had to............

If you had to replace your XC - what would you get?

I've commented on this before, but I feel I cant replace the XC with anything of equal value/usefulness except maybe a newer one.
    I like driving the XC more than Outback, but that would be an option if I was searching. Or a Forester.
    I just hate the 4cyl and 4spd combo those have so it'd have to be a turbo or H6.
    Otherwise, I'd probably be looking for a newer XC - Mines an 03 with 180k.

Curious to hear what others think or might prefer if their XC were to die.

Quote Originally Posted by AutosDirectFlorida View Post
    If you had to replace your XC - what would you get?

I've commented on this before, but I feel I cant replace the XC with anything of equal value/usefulness except maybe a newer one.
    I like driving the XC more than Outback, but that would be an option if I was searching. Or a Forester.
    I just hate the 4cyl and 4spd combo those have so it'd have to be a turbo or H6.
    Otherwise, I'd probably be looking for a newer XC - Mines an 03 with 180k.

Curious to hear what others think or might prefer if their XC were to die.
    Practically anything that comes a stick shift, rather than auto, even though my XC is good on the transmission i cannot stand the disconnect from anticipating the correct gear, i hate waiting for transmission to shift reactively, a nice used 911 should do it, with a stick!

It would be another Volvo wagon. Perhaps an newer XC. Maybe a nice low-miles P2 if I could find one. Perhaps the new V90 AWD, which we’ve both looked at in our local dealership.

An R-model with a stick would be nice if it were mine, but “my” cars are the pickup truck and the V-12 sedan.

And I know that my wife would like another Volvo wagon.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Probably the next gen XC70. A Subaru is not an option, I'm just not a fan. I wish that there was some other Japanese wagon on the market that would do the job, but no bueno.

I've been wondering about this recently and my thoughts are on:

1. V90CC (more luxury vehicle than I'd like and not as practical or utilitarian as my 04)
    2. V60CC (same comment as above plus much less cargo space)
    3. VW Golf/Jetta Sportwagen (although I hate cars with "sport" in their name other than real sports cars!)
    4. MB G-wagen
    5. Subaru Outback
    6. Toyota Corolla Wagon (2019 model ???)

Anybody looked at the 2018 Buick Regal TourX? Essentially an AWD Opel Insignia estate, assembled in Germany.
    '04 XC70, Ash Gold / Taupe, Premium, Touring, Tinted Rear Glass, Rear Skyddsplåt, Wing Profile Load Bars, USA Spec 11,
    StonGard Light Protection, Yokohama YK740 GTXs, Meyle HD Sway Bar Links, ipd HD TCV, subframe & top brace poly bushing inserts,
    TitaniumTim XC Cup-holder Coasters.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennhaven View Post
    Anybody looked at the 2018 Buick Regal TourX? Essentially an AWD Opel Insignia estate, assembled in Germany.
    Yes, damn nice and about 1/2++ the price of a fully loaded new XC90. Roughly 41K v 68 K
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

I would look for another P2 XC70. I carry equipment that just fits in the rear with back seats folded down. I've been amazed that, although
    it's a metric-designed car, it can just accomodate a 10' long pipe, and a 4'x4' plywood sheet. They cut down the dimensions on the P3s.
    The P2 is an enclosed minitruck. I love the big rear door opening and rectangular cargo section. Plus the P2 looks great. And the T5 engine
    rocks in traffic. Decent gas mileage.

I never liked the P3's center console, made of a piece of curved aluminum. Don't care about navigation, bluetooth, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Yes, damn nice and about 1/2++ the price of a fully loaded new XC90. Roughly 41K v 68 K
    "As a lesson in globalization, the TourX couldn’t be more perfect. It does have that red, white, and blue badge and an American-built engine (one that can trace its genesis back more than two decades to a collaboration between Britain’s Lotus, Germany’s Opel, Sweden’s Saab, and, of course, the sometime owner of all the above, GM itself), but the TourX uses a Japanese transmission and is assembled in Germany by a subsidiary of a French company. Is this an automobile we’re describing or the opening ceremony of the Olympics?"

Covers all the bases? I used to drive Opels when I lived over there and always liked them. The TourX may be worth a look.

EDIT: It appears that the TourX is not available in Canada.
    Last edited by goldxc70; 07-19-2018 at 02:38 PM.

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

I just bought an '06 Ocean Race (May 2018) with a bunch of "R" upgrades by the PO (18" wheels, suspension, dash, brakes and engine chipped). Those seats fit me like a glove and I have never found the equal in terms of comfort and usable interior space. I put 20,000 kms on the rig over the past 10 weeks driving to/from our Ottawa house from the BC coast.

I have a '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee for towing (not keen on SUV's generally), but the XC-70's offer a great combination of comfort and longevity. I checked out a bunch of other vender wagons but couldn't match the seat comfort. Also had a V-90 for a week and the seats are not to my liking.

Overall I like the wagon format and with a chipped engine, it is much more sprightly that our '04. I should add that the '04 went to Los Cabos this winter as I had little faith in my '15 Jeep. That speaks volumes IMO.

A used XC was the right idea for me.
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)