Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default EMERGENCY - Please Help

I apologize for a new thread but Ive been reading instructions for setting the vvt hubs till I'm blind- they don't make sense and nothing I'm doing has worked.

I have to be in another state Tuesday for a funeral and am at the point of taking the car to the dealership Monday if I cant figure this out.

I've replaced the TB and cam seals, thus the reason for removing the cams/hubs.

All of the marks are aligned but it wont run- tries to crank but wont run - it did crank prior to my last adjustment based on instructions I found here
    https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...VVT-hub-change

I think what I'm most confused about is whether or not the hub should be at its most forward resting position while the cam timing mark is also aligned.
    Moving the hub to its forward stop position THEN turning the cam till the marks align leaves the hub just back from that original resting position so now it all moves back and forth a bit - which as I read it,its supposed to do...

I did all of this to a T and now it wont crank.

YES, I had the cam lock tool in place.

I suppose if someone could recite the instructions in a more layman sort of way, it could help.

At this point, anything would help.
    I don't know what to do anymore aside from take it all apart and do it all over again from scratch, but that's what I did last time

Nevermind - what an idiot

I took out the airbox numerous times during all of this and in the process the turbo end came off. DOH
    Clamp was loose - put it back together and VOILA - Holy Crap I feel stupid, but at the same time happy it was a simple fix... geez....

Quote Originally Posted by AutosDirectFlorida View Post

I took out the airbox numerous times during all of this and in the process the turbo end came off. DOH
    Clamp was loose - put it back together and VOILA - Holy Crap I feel stupid, but at the same time happy it was a simple fix... geez....

But isn't it great when you do figure it out and it works?

YES - however - now one of the cam seals I replaced is leaking worse than before I replaced them so I have to take it all apart again

I didnt have any issues putting the new ones in so no idea why its leaking and now we have to drive it that way to FL from SC tomorrow.
    Carrying oil and will check routinely.
    So far driving it today here and there, it keeps leaving drops but oil level hasnt changed too much so its a slow leak.

I need to research how I may have done something wrong with these and order replacements.

As I think about this - I noticed that both of them (gear/hub side) looked identical when i took them out, but...
    The TB kit I bought had one that had a wire mesh insert of some type in it that wasnt like what I took out - Under the gun, I just went with it and wonder now if that could be my problem.

Didn't put them in too deep or the sealing surface on the gear is not on the seal.
    Last edited by AKAMick; 07-08-2018 at 04:49 PM.

They're probably in too deep - I pushed them until they stopped
    And I dont believe I can get them out without destroying them so......

Ordered two new ones from FCP - ensuring they are indeed correct and only $5 each.
    Will tackle this all again next weekend - Cant wait

Many years ago, I had the engine in my 82 DL rebuilt. I put it back in and it ran poorly, very poorly. I beat my brains out trying to figure it out, eventually I took it to a mechanic who looked in there for ten seconds and told me to put a clamp on the mass airflow sensor. The clamp had fallen in to the oil drain pan during disassembly and I completely forgot about it. I felt both happy and dumb at the same time, but happy prevailed.

Got back from FL early today so I started on the car - went quick considering my new found experience with this procedure.
    These pics are "questionable" seal I installed and was obviously the one leaking. The other one looked exactly like the old ones, not like this, and was fine, but I replaced it anyway as a just in case.
    What took the longest was cleaning the oil from everywhere.
    The oil had gotten so bad I was losing 1 qt per 2 hours of driving on the highway and it was somehow running down to the rear of the car and splattering on the rear window.
    Everything, including the inside of the wheel was coated in oil.

BUT - lesson learned and its all good now with victor reinz seals from FCP and they match the originals this time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0660.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	8727Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0661.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	8728

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast