Default How to remove this wire from steering lock?

I am trying to remove the black wire from the steering lock. There is a black plastic tab which seems to be part of the steering lock - when pressing the tab it partially unlocks to so it moves but will not come away from unit.

How to take this wire off the old steering lock and onto the new?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steering lock wire.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	9000

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyjeff View Post
    I am trying to remove the black wire from the steering lock. There is a black plastic tab which seems to be part of the steering lock - when pressing the tab it partially unlocks to so it moves but will not come away from unit.

How to take this wire off the old steering lock and onto the new?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steering lock wire.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	9000
    You have to turn the key slightly, that's the cable going to the shifter for the lock out function

I haven't had to play with that wire but sometimes you have to push in on the wire before you can remove it. Is there a slot somewhere that you can insert a small flat screwdriver to gently lift up on a plastic tab or notch to release the wire? Sorry but I'm not familiar with that repair. Wire removal can definitely be tricky in my experience.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    You have to turn the key slightly, that's the cable going to the shifter for the lock out function
    And if the key won't turn at all you have to cut the metal around the cable to get it out. - Look in the new steering column lock where the cable goes and you will see an opening appear when the key is turned -