Default Love it or List it

Yes, I stole the title, seemed to fit my question....

I'm not in this situation but I've thought to myself many times about this and just read a parting out thread for an XC where the tranny went out.

So I have an 03 XC70 with 175k miles. Overall, the car is great - Interior is still near perfect. Body is super nice - paint etc.
    I've done the maintenance, shocks, control arms, injectors, coils, plugs so on and so on over the past 2 years.

The tranny is my one big complaint about this freaking car - i replaced the valve body after i first got it and now have delayed shifts again from P to D or R etc.
    I need to flush the fluid - its completely tolerable the way it is, but its got me thinking on multiple occasions.

What if the tranny went out?

For the cost of a replacement tranny, I cannot replace the car as a whole. The car is great in every other way so....

Do you love it or list it?
    If this were you, would you fork over the money and have a new tranny installed for the same or more than the car is worth or chunk it and invest in a new car?
    Right now, my vote is fix it and love it. For even $3k or so of a new tranny, I cannot find another car that fits what this XC offers me that will be in any better condition.
    I'd just be investing that money in something different - another XC with potentially the same issue or a newer one that costs me more money than the repair.

Thoughts???

Might be cheaper to remove the transmission yourself and have a professional rebuild it and you reinstall it, the RR is a large % of the cost. These transmissions are in many vehicles and many shops are familiar with them and routinely rebuild them without any issues,

Quote Originally Posted by AKAMick View Post
    Might be cheaper to remove the transmission yourself and have a professional rebuild it and you reinstall it, the RR is a large % of the cost. These transmissions are in many vehicles and many shops are familiar with them and routinely rebuild them without any issues,
    Great point - the weight of the tranny may be an issue with no lift and working on your back
    I'm sure if the car is high enough on stands, a jack would be sufficient to lower it out of the car.
    I need to research instructions for this procedure.

But... you didnt answer my question What would you do in this scenario?

If I were in that situation, I would either rebuild the tranny myself, or remove it and take it to a reputable local shop to rebuild. As my XC only has 140k miles on it, and I plan to keep it for 6-8 years, I'm sure I will be in this situation soon. So that is my plan when the time comes.

Local trans shop says 11 hours of labour to R&R an XC70 trans. Car-Part.com says about $650 for a used trans... maybe can find a low mileage one. Always the risk that you pay for the labour to replace a trans with another bad one...

A low mileage 03 or 04 tranny (the only ones that will work without a lot of internal changes), right...
    Good luck, the wagon is now 15, yes FIFTEEN years old now!
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

I'm actually extremely happy with the overall quality of this car at 15 years old - Aside from the dog hair and toe nail divots in the center arm rest - my interior is near mint and the paint has held up like no other car I've owned.
    The form and function of this car - for me - cannot be matched by anything except a newer one.
    Fortunately, I dont feel I need to replace the tranny yet, but I am in need of at least a fluid flush again.

I appreciate everyones comments