Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Just a side note: for some reason Conti is a bit shorter than the original belt, it is hard to install, engine works louder, and it wears PS pump out much quicker.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
    This is what I think too. A pair of real good bearings cost me about $100 alone, and I had to ship them from random ebay sellers in Europe. Didn't have luck with easy to source bearings, they are either louder than the old ones, or die in 6 months. I pulled the old bearings and was searching for the new bearings with the same index, which turned out to be not so easy. Before pressing in the bearings, I've opened them up and added a bit more Polyrex EM grease. The rebuild cost me over $200 just in parts (without diodes), but the alternator is quite. New one in wife's new XC60 is much louder.
    Hmmmm, interesting. Well, I'll know what's up here later today when I pull everything. If this ends up being that a rebuild right out of the box makes nearly the same sound as a OEM Bosch with over 250K kms on it...damn, I'm going to be a bit pissed. I've been screwing with this for over a month trying to nail it down, arggghhhhhhh! So at this point, I have 3 alternators and 3 PS pumps, one of each are known good and quiet. Unfortunately, they are on my R. But hopefully after this exercise today, I will have either 2 of each that are good and I've narrowed down the noise to something else or I'll have one each good and a whole lot of warranty crap I'm going to have to deal with.

Thanks again, guys, for the help.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Quote Originally Posted by billr99 View Post
    Hmmmm, interesting. Well, I'll know what's up here later today when I pull everything. If this ends up being that a rebuild right out of the box makes nearly the same sound as a OEM Bosch with over 250K kms on it...damn, I'm going to be a bit pissed. I've been screwing with this for over a month trying to nail it down, arggghhhhhhh! So at this point, I have 3 alternators and 3 PS pumps, one of each are known good and quiet. Unfortunately, they are on my R. But hopefully after this exercise today, I will have either 2 of each that are good and I've narrowed down the noise to something else or I'll have one each good and a whole lot of warranty crap I'm going to have to deal with.

Thanks again, guys, for the help.

Cheers,

Bill
    Yeah, painful... In case you decide to rebuild yourself: front bearing is NTN SC03A55LVA, rear one is NTN 6003LHA.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Does the sound change at all if the AC clutch is engaged? Could it be the AC clutch bearing?
    PDX-Vancouver, USA

2005 XC70 140,000

Quote Originally Posted by Scopeman View Post
    Does the sound change at all if the AC clutch is engaged? Could it be the AC clutch bearing?
    Thought of that as well. No change when AC clutch engages or disengages.

Thanks for the response.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'02 V70XC-gone @393K kms

Well, it is getting ridiculous. I've got the alternators and the PS pumps off both cars as well as having the old ones that were pulled from the XC over the last month or so. Damn, if I can hear, feel or see anything obvious amongst them all. Funny thing is that I discovered that I do need a new pulley for the serpentine tensioner on the R of all things and it's not really making any noise. Now considering which ones go where to see if I actually fix anything or end up with two cars making racket. Great! Glad my 45+ years of auto repair experience is coming in so handy on this......NOT!

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'02 V70XC-gone @393K kms

Sounds like the part that is making the noise is not broke enough, "never let anything mechanical think you are in a hurry".

After pulling everything but the AC compressor on the XC and trading alternators with my R, it appears that it is the used PS pump I got from Eire that is making the noise. A bit less than the original pump but I think AKAMick may be right, in that it isn't quite gone enough. The fact that the original pump went 265K kms before it got annoying may indicate that I have some time on the Eire pump. At the moment, the tensioner pulley on the R is disguising whether the rebuilt alternator is making any noise but with all three on the bench (original, the new Remy rebuild and the original from the R), they all sounded the same, had no play in the bearings, etc. So for now, I'm going to have to live with a bit more noise than I would like, but at least it better than it was.

As a note, XC PS pumps are 110 bar pumps. R and apparently S80 and XC90 pumps are 120 bar pumps with a higher rotational rate due to a slightly smaller pulley. I was thinking of swapping pumps but was concerned with applying higher pressure to the XC's rack and how the lower pressure of the 110 bar pump would affect the R's variable assist steering.

I have to admit that due to all of this taking place over about a month, I kind of lost sight of what the normal amount of noise is supposed to be. Discovering that the R, which I thought was pretty quiet, actually had a bit of noise due to the tensioner pulley just further confused the matter. Perhaps being a bit too particular for my own good this time. Anyway, my many thanks to all who gave suggestions and help in this.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'02 V70XC-gone @393K kms

Our 240 would whine high pitch for few minutes after the AC was turned on. Same experience with 740, but not as often -- that was 20 years ago.

Recently, this past winter, the high pitch whine had appeared in our 2001 V70XC, but only at the first start of engine. The whine goes away after few minutes.

Being proactive, I've replaced most items under serpentine belt in past 24 months - failing alternator with rebuilt BOSCH, new tensioner and belt, and bulging PS reservoir with new Volvo. After weeks of locating source, I found the noise to be closer to PS pump, than to the compressor -- above the engine not bottom. Nearer to the PS pump pulley.

So I replaced the PS pump with a rebuilt ZF, and changed the o'ring with Volvo's green. While disconnecting the pressure hose at the pump, I found the deep hex nut to be loose that it turned with fingers and when pulled the o'ring was flat and torn. This o'ring was installed by me at the time of replacing of PS reservoir and PS fluid flush -- CHF 202.

Concerned that the deep hex will come loose again, I installed the bracket pn 8683807. Spring arrived, after the oil change I heard a faint whine. So the search began all over again. The high pitch whine is now fully back at each start for few minutes. Whine changes with acceleration.

I did not flush at the time of PS pump replacement, rather use clamps to prevent any spill.

It runs with no issue! Do the belt slip?
    Last edited by Xheart; 05-30-2018 at 04:10 AM.
    2001 V70XC +204k miles/ XeMODeX/ Pirelli 12/32"/ Duracell 48/ MOBIL-3309/ Pennzoil EURO 5W-40/ Great Lakes

No belt slippage. Really everything mechanical has either been replaced or is in good low miles nick. The AC compressor isn't it as the noise doesn't change with the AC clutch engaged or not. But I didn't change out the o-ring and I'm thinking that might be it. Never seen that but it makes sense. The fit for that line is way stiffer on the R than the XC so I have a new o-ring coming ($7.00 a piece!!).

Thanks for the suggestions

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'02 V70XC-gone @393K kms

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12