Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Here' where I found the cross bar photo that matches yours

https://www.gumtree.com/p/car-part-a...932/1166643294

I can't imagine Volvo wanting you to pry the end caps out every time you wanted to install or remove the bars. The part number 31428932 googles to be a set of rails that i own, that uses a small tamper proof torx wrench to tighten.

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    Here' where I found the cross bar photo that matches yours

https://www.gumtree.com/p/car-part-a...932/1166643294

I can't imagine Volvo wanting you to pry the end caps out every time you wanted to install or remove the bars. The part number 31428932 googles to be a set of rails that i own, that uses a small tamper proof torx wrench to tighten.

Update: Volvo Customer Service responded to my issue. Below is their response.

Hello Joe,

Hope your day is going well. I spoke with one of my part representatives about your installation issue. My Parts representative explained that in order for you to complete the installation, you would need to go to your local Volvo dealership, who have a special Bosch tool to tighten the roof bars. Please contact your local Volvo Service department to obtain the right tools. Hope this helped, thank you.

Med vänliga hälsningar!

Yours Sincerely,

Todd
    Volvo Car USA

So I am now waiting to hear back from my local Volvo dealership regarding this special Bosch tool.
    2013 XC70 AWD 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by VA Volvo View Post
    this special Bosch tool.
    Hopefully it will be something other than Items 3 and 23 in the picture, a 8624192, or a 9484412. Those are tamper proof torx wrenches

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bartool1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	8610

Update:

Local Volvo Dealership could not track down the proper tool to secure the square profile roof bars. Decided to return the square profiles and purchase one of the other 2 styles of roof bars.

Researching the two styles: 31664413 or 31454714

Will most likely go with the 31664413 due to cost and the fact these will only be used 3-4 times a year.

Thanks for everyone's help and comments.

Safe Travels.
    2013 XC70 AWD 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    Does the oval end part turn the torx when pulled out after unlocking? As in the attached photo?
    Attachment 8607
    Are you certain if you pull the oval part all the way out it does not engage the 8 sided torx and tighten or loosen it? (i am pretty sure I have seen that style and method of tightening years ago)

It does not make sense that any manufacturer would have you pry the little covers out every time you wanted to remove or install the bars, and i can imagine Volvo changing the design and installation method because some one did not tighten "to spec" and had one fall off or caused an accident! The new installation tools include a twisting style torque gauge where they could claim it would be the consumers fault if it came loose.
    Last edited by hoonk; 05-14-2018 at 06:55 PM.

I did attempt to turn the oval part to engage the tightening, but it did not work. I attempted this on more than one end as well. It could be that this product was defective? I bought it from a Volvo dealer, but the roof bars did not have a box or a set of keys. Dealer stated they have had them for so long, box got damaged then disintegrated. The dealerships ordered a replacement set of keys before I would purchase. Decided at $115 tax included was worth the gamble, plus they said I could return them.

Returned for refund. I think the dealer said they would just send them back to their parts supplier. However, when I was at the dealer returning the part they had a used roof bars set for sale. This style 31664413. Debating purchasing the used roof bars or just get new roof bars?
    2013 XC70 AWD 3.2

The wing profile bars are quieter at speed (but still not silent) than the square profile bars - I guess it depends on what you want to atttach

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2323.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	8739Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2327.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	8736Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2325.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	8738Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2326.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	8737Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2328.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	8735

Update:

Well finally got around to purchasing a roof rack set. Purchased a MALONE Airflow2 58" roof rack system, through Etrailer website. Price was reasonable for what we need the racks for (2-3 trips a year). More of the aerodynamic shape than traditional square bars.

Another reason for purchasing this model was the tool to tighten the clamps is stored inside the rack itself. No need to keep a separate tool in car or on person. After going through trying to find a tightening tool for the Volvo brand rack and having no luck, this feature was a extreme plus to me.

Will know later today if the racks cause any increase wind noise. The roof racks came with rubber fill strips for the open tract below to cut down on wind noise. Will only post again if there is noise to let forum know.

Safe Travels.
    2013 XC70 AWD 3.2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12