Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Square Profile Load Carrier Install Question

Hello All,

Recently purchased a square profile roof rack bars for a 2013 XC70. Dealership parts dept. had it discounted due to box missing ($115 tax included). Received the two bars, a set of keys for the locks and instructions.

Tried to install today, but ran into a problem. I couldn't get the "clips" to tighten onto the roof rails. Investigated further, I removed a small plastic tab next to the key hole, and found a torque bit/head. By rotating this torque bit the "clip" would tighten. Had to use a pair of needle nose pliers to tighten however. Do not want to strip this bit/head. So I figure this is how you attach and tighten the bars to the rails, but I did not get the tool required.

Does anyone know what tool I need to tighten this torque bit/head, to properly attach the square profile roof bars. Where I can purchase? Is it a Volvo trademark tool? Or advice to how to properly attach these bars?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    2013 XC70 AWD 3.2

A picture would be very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by VA Volvo View Post
    Does anyone know what tool I need to tighten this torque bit/head,Where I can purchase? Is it a Volvo trademark tool?
    The tool is listed in the Volvo parts catalog, I bought one for about $15 from Volvo. But it is just a security torx and you can buy a security torx bit for a couple of dollars at the home stores and use your own wrachet.

The Volvo tool has a torque wrench built in to ensure you tighten them to the proper tightness.

Default Pics

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2421.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	8604Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2422.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	8605Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2423.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	8606
    Quote Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
    A picture would be very helpful.

Sorry it took so long to take some pics. I have seen a tool from Volvo, but I think it applies to the newer styles of roof racks. It seems I need something that will fit over a torque shape.
    2013 XC70 AWD 3.2

Do you happen to remember the part number for the tool?
    2013 XC70 AWD 3.2

I have two set of rails, wing profile and square profile, neither use a tool that would tighten yours. (and mine don't have a provision for a key lock) Yours looks like an an internal torx would be needed except there are 8 points instead of 6 (torx and internal torx have 6 points)

Look here for what Volvo offers

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...ck-n-load/2013

Does the oval end part turn the torx when pulled out after unlocking? As in the attached photo?

Name:	bartool.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	8607

Default Square Profile thread

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    Does the oval end part turn the torx when pulled out after unlocking? As in the attached photo?

Name:	bartool.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	8607
    The oval part does come out like the picture you posted. I have not tried to turn it to see if this moves the torx. Will try when I get home after work and give an update.
    2013 XC70 AWD 3.2

The piece in the pictures is not a torx. It is an eight point/double square/eight spline. If the lock piece does not come out and then turn the head you should be able to find a socket that will fit.
    If you do a search for double square sockets you will find one.

Quote Originally Posted by VA Volvo View Post
    The oval part does come out like the picture you posted. I have not tried to turn it to see if this moves the torx. Will try when I get home after work and give an update.
    The oval part did come out as in the picture you posted, however turning this oval did not have any effect on the clamp moving either forwards or backwards.

After putting the oval back in place, I used a pair of needle nose pliers to turn the 8 point head. This moved the clamp and I was able to tighten the clamp to the roof rails. So I would agree with ssicarman's latest comment regarding the double square socket. Without the correct socket/tool and using the needle nose pliers, has me worried that tightening this way will not totally secure the clamps for my roof box. So the search for the correct double square socket begins.

I will be looking for the double square socket online. Need to figure out correct size. From past investigation I have come across a tool for Audi/VW:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ch/8r0071712j/

This tool looks like what I need, but I do not know correct size or if compatible. Plus they are expensive.

I have contacted Volvo customer service with this issue but have not received a response as of yet.

Appreciate everyone's help with this, will update with my solution attempts.
    2013 XC70 AWD 3.2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast