Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2006 XC70 front rotor size

Can't seem to get a straight answer from Volvo. FCP Euro web-site is also confusing as they list the rotor size of 286mm from a chassis number greater than ours, but our cars' front rotors are 286mm.

This car eats Volvo OE brakes (max. 20,000 miles on a full set front + rear). I have read that these cars can be fitted with larger 305mm rotors with just changing the caliper bracket and rotor. The car is fitted with 16" Volvo rims for both summer and winter so no plans to change those, so will they work with 305mm rotors. Would the larger rotors make any noticeable difference to either effectiveness or lifespan?

My version of Vida would suggest that the rotor size is dependent on wheel size, 286mm rotor = 15", 305mm = 16" and 320mm = 17". If this is to be believed then the 305mm rotors should fit if my assumption is correct.

I am thinking of trying Akebono pads and Zimmerman coated rotors from FCP and see if there is any luck over the OE parts (2 warped sets of front and 1 rears in 12,000 miles fitted by dealer). At least FCP has a better warranty if I fit them and they are almost half the price of the OE brakes.

Any advice? I have posted this on MVS but limited replies.

Many thanks,

Neil.

That sounds like a good combination.
    I run the AB pads for years, they stop about like OEM but NO brake dust
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Only 20,000 miles seems really poor. Are your brakes dragging? How's your fuel economy? Time for caliper rebuilds?
    Brett

I got over 100,000 miles on a set of Akebono euro ceramic pads and Brembo rotors in the stock 286mm size on the XC.

Last summer, I installed some new front caliper brackets ($17 each on Rock Auto), 305mm R1 Concepts drilled rotors and the same pads. I went with the same pad and new (plain) rotors in the rear.

They're wearing well, time will tell if they equal the Brembo rotors. Pedal feel and stopping power is very slightly improved. Everything fits under the 16" OEM wheels.

Either you're tracking that poor car, or have lousy quality pads, or have a stuck caliper(s). 20,000 miles is genuinely awful life for a set of pads/rotors.

Zimmerman rotors are excellent quality. They would be a good choice. Same for the Akebono pads.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Thanks for the replies guys. Brakes don't seem to be dragging. This is our son's car and I thought maybe he was riding the brakes or tailgating (therefore needing to brake hard) but having driven with him it doesn't seem so.

The car has been hard on brakes since we bought it from the local dealer in 2011. At that time my wife was the main driver and I know she drives well. Brakes show no signs of over heating and after the 3 early sets of front and set of rear warping, they have settled down but still give lousy lifespan. So far these have not warped.

Neil.

Then I recommend trying the Akebono pads.

"Warped" rotors are often not warped, but have uneven deposits from the pads that causes pulsation. New/better pads can fix that. Better rotors are more even in their finish, thickness, and material composition and less likely to have those uneven deposits.

Make certain that you properly clean and lube the calipers (clean all corrosion and old grease off the calipers, then put bit of moly brake grease on the ears of the pads, antisqueal on the pad backing).

Ensure that the hubs themselves are cleaned of all corrosion so that the rotors are seated properly. I use a shot (light even coat) of pure zinc primer to keep them rust free. I hit the wheels bolts with the same primer. I live by salt water, and wheel and bolt corrosion happens.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Like I said we have only had Volvo parts on this car, it is still serviced at the dealer for the most part, and even when I work on it it only gets Volvo OE parts, the sole exception is the cabin heater fan where I used OEM Behr part as at $500 CDN I was not willing to pay that ridiculous price. I also fitted the part as not difficult.

I have worked on my Volvos plenty (40+ years) but was just too busy on this one, but at the age and our son just finished university, I will fit the brakes this time. In fairness the dealer will fit the aftermarket parts if I ask them, but based on the past issues with the brakes can't see how I can do worse. Being a retired mechanical engineer I am typically anal with cleanliness of repairs. I usually also paint the calipers with caliper paint to keep corrosion at bay. Here they use liquid death on the roads in winter (de-icing agent) which is really rough on untreated metal.

Good to know that the larger brakes (305mm) will fit with the 16" wheels. I was looking at buying all the stuff from FCP, but there is a $25/bracket core charge. Cost of returning to US will take about half of that on each bracket assuming they will take 286mm brackets back as cores on 305mm ones.

Appreciate your help guys. Much appreciated.

Neil.

If you have any S80's in the yards up there hogie, grab the caliper carriers, that'll bump the calipers out the extra distance needed to run the 305mm rotors. It'll save you the return shipping costs at least.

I got the 305 carriers at Rock Auto which didn't have a core charge on them at the time. Might be worth a look there.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

I replaced a front caliper with a rebuilt exchange unit from Advance Auto and it came with the bracket for the larger brakes, after fitting it and wondering why the pads overhung the disk i realized what was going on and went back and retrieved my original bracket and gave them the one that came with the rebuilt caliper back, if you needed calipers getting a set with the larger brackets could be an option?.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast