Thumbs down Brake Pedal Position Sensor failure as bad as ETM

ECM 9400 error code from Vadis
    ECM-9400 code points to the Brake Pedal Position Sensor which delivers faulty signal. It has

a bad engineering design similar to that of ETM. The following pictures shows the cause of

failure. The sensor is a potentiometer resistance element. It has a wiper to wear a painted

resistance stripe. There will be million times movement for the wiper on this strip and it

will cause potentiometer to fail.
    Pictures:
    http://www.geocities.com/achvia/IMG_2412a.JPG
    http://www.geocities.com/achvia/IMG_2415a.JPG
    http://www.geocities.com/achvia/IMG_2418a.JPG

The sensor parts# is 9441116 and dealer charges $88 for it and 0.2 hour labor to install it.
    This could be a potential recall too. It belongs to ABS control system as some one pointed

out. refer http://au.geocities.com/ozbrick850/abs-141142.html
    I had this sensor failure starting from 43K miles and 5 year. The engine light went on and

off for period of time. The message board said "Engine System Service Required". I think the

message really did not tell me anything about the problem. The vadis later show the error

code. Since I fixed the sensor, I never see this problem again.
    If you have same problem in your car, I can help you to fix the sensor. Contact me at

[email protected]

Default Wow - The Same design

Looks like virtually the same design and issue as the TBM. I can't believe it...here we go again.
    1999 V70 XC Dark Blue/Taupe - Gas/Auto Trans. with Nokian WRG2s 205/65/15
    2002 Acura TL White/Tan

Quote Originally Posted by tgrumaj
    Looks like virtually the same design and issue as the TBM. I can't believe it...here we go again.
    Perhaps this isn't as bad as the ETM module. It appears that this device can be easily repaired judging from the write-up that Achvia did (BTW, nice write-up on the repair of the pedal position sensor) Thx!

Cheers, Rabbit
    1978 242 DL Sedan
    1989 240 DL Wagon (Beige)
    1989 240 DL Wagon (Silver)
    2000 V70 XC Moondust
    2000 V70 XC SE Moondust

achvia--

Your "how to" write up is outstanding. Many thanks. I was able to service my old brake pedal sensor just as you outlined. However, I made the mistake of cracking the case while trying to uncap the unit.

I was unaware of the crack (very small) until I re-installed the sensor and fired up the engine. My vacuum pump began running intermittantly after engine shut-down. It sounded like an electric shaver going on and off-- lasting for about two minutes.

Apparently, that small crack caused enough leak to trigger the vacuum pump (even after engine shut-down) to maintain negative pressure in the booster.

I wound up buying a new brake pedal sensor and the vacuum pump problem fixed itself.

To make a long story short-- Be careful not to crack the case when servicing the sensor. I hope my experience helps someone else with similar problems.

Paul Cameron

Can anyone point me in the direction of Achvia's "how to' procedure?
    2001 V70xc, Ashgold/
    Sand, Premium Pkg

I now this is a really old thread but.... Is it possible for brake pedal position sensor fails and don't report an error?? I am asking because I have strange problem with my brakes and I must try with parts elimination. Can someone send me tutorial or something to see the procedure od sensor cleaning? Thanks a lot.