Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 04 XC70 - Properller Shaft Delete?

I'm getting clunks when letting off the throttle / getting on the throttle, especially at low speed, in the area of the propeller shaft. With 220K miles, I'm thinking it's probably the propeller shaft's front CV due to it being in the vicinity of the catalytic converter. I'm pretty convinced that the heat produced by the gallons of oil, and unburnt gas that the turbo pushed through the Cat was the culprit in killing the prop shaft, if I had to guess.

With a Turbo replacement, brakes, angle gear, collar sleeve, axles, and a bunch of suspension stuff over the past two years, I am contemplating just deleting the propeller shaft and using it as a FWD for as long as she lives.

I know this is possible with the pre 2001 XCs, but I worry about the haldex system on the 04 throwing codes in this case.

Does anyone have any experience deleting the prop shaft on an 03+ XCs?

My other option is a junkyard prop shaft with 100k for around $150. I don't want to repack the CV because I've heard it can be finicky, and I don't want to be back in there in a few months.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    04 XC70 w/ 235k
    04 XC70 w/125k
    96 850 NA w/ 235k

Get the used one and rebuild your old one and see how it works out, then you got a spare. https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Drivesh...=mtr#vi-ilComp
    Last edited by AKAMick; 03-30-2018 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanmcgrim View Post

I know this is possible with the pre 2001 XCs, but I worry about the haldex system on the 04 throwing codes in this case.
    You might get DEM codes but they only show up with a scan, there will be no messages (related to driveshaft) in the text box (and no check engine light or trans service warning)

You might think a bit about the rear end surgery. Would you plan to remove the rear-drive axles + differential + Haldex? That would eliminate the reverse load being applied to the differential + Haldex by the rotating rear wheels. You want your rears to spin freely like on a FWD car, right?

Also, suggest you nail the root cause of the "clunks" before removing the front-to-rear propeller shaft.

XC70 is horrible as a FWD car. It feels like too much horses under the hood, even dangerous in slippery conditions. It won't be a normal FWD car, it still will be thinking it has AWD and will push way too hard for FWD.

Gen2 Haldex is not throwing any codes without a shaft, it has pressure feed all electronically controlled through the pump and solenoid. The only issue is you really need to grease all mating surfaces with an extra thick grease and wrap flanges in thick aluminum foil, just in case you decide to return to AWD world. I was driving like that for couple of weeks waiting for a rebuilt drive shaft, no problems (besides crazy handling).

Hold angle gear's flange with one hand and rotate driveshaft with the other. If you don't feel too much play and don't hear clunk then CV joint is not guilty, at least for 100% of clunk.

My clunk under the same conditions was almost stripped collar sleeve. Never thought of it, but when it was finally stripped and replaced the clunk was gone forever.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

My experience has been positive since I deleted the angle gear and prop shaft 2 years ago. It drives fine and gives me 2 extra miles per gallon of gas. Another benefit is that it is soooo much easier to gain access for things behind the engine. However, it's probably worth saving the awd if you only have a bad prop shaft. For me, the angle gear was worn and I decided to just remove them. Vida will show some codes.

DYZ
    2005 Volvo XC70, Ash Gold, 210K miles

Quote Originally Posted by DYZ View Post
    My experience has been positive since I deleted the angle gear and prop shaft 2 years ago. It drives fine and gives me 2 extra miles per gallon of gas. Another benefit is that it is soooo much easier to gain access for things behind the engine. However, it's probably worth saving the awd if you only have a bad prop shaft. For me, the angle gear was worn and I decided to just remove them. Vida will show some codes.

DYZ
    Ok, thanks for the input. Just to confirm, it's only VIDA that will pull codes, no CEL? I think I probably will end up replacing the propeller shaft before the winter season, but will run it without the propeller shaft for the time being. Having just replaced the turbo, I can attest to how nice it would be access wise if the angle gear wasn't there.
    04 XC70 w/ 235k
    04 XC70 w/125k
    96 850 NA w/ 235k

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    You might get DEM codes but they only show up with a scan, there will be no messages (related to driveshaft) in the text box (and no check engine light or trans service warning)
    Ok, this is great to know. Thank you
    04 XC70 w/ 235k
    04 XC70 w/125k
    96 850 NA w/ 235k

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
    XC70 is horrible as a FWD car. It feels like too much horses under the hood, even dangerous in slippery conditions. It won't be a normal FWD car, it still will be thinking it has AWD and will push way too hard for FWD.

Gen2 Haldex is not throwing any codes without a shaft, it has pressure feed all electronically controlled through the pump and solenoid. The only issue is you really need to grease all mating surfaces with an extra thick grease and wrap flanges in thick aluminum foil, just in case you decide to return to AWD world. I was driving like that for couple of weeks waiting for a rebuilt drive shaft, no problems (besides crazy handling).

Hold angle gear's flange with one hand and rotate driveshaft with the other. If you don't feel too much play and don't hear clunk then CV joint is not guilty, at least for 100% of clunk.

My clunk under the same conditions was almost stripped collar sleeve. Never thought of it, but when it was finally stripped and replaced the clunk was gone forever.
    Thanks for the info VTL, glad to see you are still kicking around the volvo forums. Congrats on picking up an XC60. I'm jealous. Thanks again for that IPOD connection unit. I use it all the time, and even added blue tooth with a 30 pin BT dongle.

I replaced my collar sleeve a couple of years ago as well, which was a bear of a job, so I hope to never have to do that again. I would probably lose the AWD system before going that route again (even with the overpowered driving characteristics), but I will double check for play in the front CV joint and hope that's the issue. The clunk is fairly noticeable, so I'm just hoping it doesn't get completely broken until I have a chance to get under there.
    04 XC70 w/ 235k
    04 XC70 w/125k
    96 850 NA w/ 235k

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanmcgrim View Post
    Does anyone have any experience deleting the prop shaft on an 03+ XCs?

My other option is a junkyard prop shaft with 100k for around $150. I don't want to repack the CV because I've heard it can be finicky, and I don't want to be back in there in a few months.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    I bought an '05 XC70 with bad angle gearbox a couple years ago. I pulled the angle gear and propshaft, and ran it as 2wd for several months with no issues. No CEL, but occasional flashing of traction control light when accelerating in the wet. Go easy on the throttle in the wet, and it'll drive fine, although it is nicer for sure now that the AWD system is working again.

You might want to pay the $150 for the JY propshaft to get you going, and then have yours rebuilt. It's not that bad to R&R. I was able to fish it out without removing the exhaust, although dropping exhaust would make it easier for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast