Question 2005 XC70 High & Low Beam bulbs? with bi-xenons is this the same bulb?

Hi - I just purchased a 2005 XC70 in Vancouver, Canada and I am a bit confused with the high and low beam. I just replaced the low beam bulb, as there was a message saying that it was out. It was an expensive D2R bulb.

Now that I have that in the car, and looking at the lights more closely, I see that the normal bulb that is in the high beam does not come on / is not used.

Foe high beam, what seems to be happening is that the low beam angles up / get brighter.

Is this normal?

(Apologies for the simple / confused question - this just has me puzzles as to why there is a 'high beam' bulb that would not ever be used / come on)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-L View Post
    Foe high beam, what seems to be happening is that the low beam angles up / get brighter.

Is this normal?
    Yes, the HID bulb tilts up to shine further down the road for high beam. Some other brands of cars use a shutter to block the light for low beam, and move it out of the way for high beam.

Summer: Victoria, B.C.; Winter: Sun Peaks, B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-L View Post
    Hi - I just purchased a 2005 XC70 in Vancouver, Canada and I am a bit confused with the high and low beam. I just replaced the low beam bulb, as there was a message saying that it was out. It was an expensive D2R bulb.

Now that I have that in the car, and looking at the lights more closely, I see that the normal bulb that is in the high beam does not come on / is not used.

Is this normal?

(Apologies for the simple / confused question - this just has me puzzles as to why there is a 'high beam' bulb that would not ever be used / come on)
    Is it possible that the unused bulb is a daytime running light?

I have not checked out my bulbs on my '06 but I notice that when I pull into an underground garage my DRL go out and headlights come on.

Umm yeah.....
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)