Default Electronic parts: Volvo OEM or aftermarket?

I need to buy a new headlight stalk for an XC70.

There's one available by "Standard Motor Products," while there are others have the original Volvo part number.

Are they all made by the same manufacturer, or are Volvo part number products in any way superior? The Volvo part number items are more expensive.

In my business (electronics), you do often find the same part marketed through different retailers for radically difference prices.

For the most part, I have found generic bits to be OK. Things like relays and such. If there are any problems with switch gear, it would be making sure that the colour is what it should be. I have seen some that although black, they just didn't look right once installed, the finish wasn't the same. Finally, generic bits might not have the same service life but with that said that might mean 50K versus 100K for OEM. Does that make a difference? Would to me because I keep my cars pretty much forever and things like a colour mismatch drive me crazy, but for most folks who will probably be switching cars within that mileage span, probably not.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Silvestriss, I've found myself in this quandry from time to time (my wife and I are on our 10th and 11th Volvos). For something like a complicated, multi-function electronic assy. such as a steering column stalk, I would lean towards an authentic Volvo part (manufactured under license by a Volvo parts contractor). There's a bit of "keiretsu" thinking in this decision...when you spend on authentic Volvo parts, you are defending an ethical business infrastructure against predatory attack by knockoffs and reverse-engineering. I've operated businesses, and believe every consumption decision is a "vote" for the business culture you want to preserve going onto the future, i.e., consumers shape the future. It's not just about getting what I need right now.