Default Newbie Help - Electrics

Hi all, i'm new to the site and also to Volvo. My wife and I purchased a 2013 XC70, D4 in May 2017 with only 14,000 miles on the clock, one owner and full Volvo service history. We bought it primarily for towing our 1500kg caravan. No problems with the car until December 27th when I drove to town and parked up, came back to the car, started it and up came the DSTC warning / reduced engine performance messages on the dashboard. The engine would not shut off unless intentionally stalled and I had to keep my foot on the brake to stop the engine revs climbing to around 2000 rpm. The car was recovered to Volvo (it's still there) and yesterday i'm told they have tried everything Volvo suggest based upon codes and still the problem exists. Volvo are advising the local garage it's likely an electrical wiring fault somewhere in the engine compartment and it'll be a process of elimination to find it. To top it off, the 2 year full Volvo Autocare Warranty we purchased for mechanical and electrical faults does not cover electrical wiring problems.

Apologies for the lengthy first post but any guidance would be very much appreciated as i'm potentially looking at a large bill for a car we've had less than 8 months and now has only 24,500 miles on it.

Cheers

Sorry to hear about your difficulties.

Your XC is very new and its a diesel but I will try to help

In my 2008 LR2 (XC70 clone) I have a docking station for the key and a push button to start and stop if this is not what you have then some of what I am about to write may not apply

First some background

- in the good old days cars used mechanical devices for the starting, if you turned the key and the battery was good the engine would crank

- not any more.... when you push the button to stop the engine you are only asking that the computer to shut down the engine

With that in mind for the type of problem that you are having I would investigate the following

- The actual start stop switch - for my 08' when I press the stop button other things shut off not just the engine (I have to check but I think the fan for interior shuts off and my heated seats) is everything staying on or just the engine?

- The start button is connected to a module (small computer) that is part of the LIN bus (if this module is broken then the engine wont shut down)

If it was me before I replaced the start button and the starter module I would do the following

1) disconnect the + and - leads from the battery and hold them together to get all of the modules to completely shutdown (this is a hard reset)

2) charge the battery - I would replace it if its 6 years old

3) connect the fully charged battery and confirm that the problem still exists

Good Luck

Paul

Hi Paul, thank you for your response and suggestions.

I spent 7 hours at the dealership today having various discussions with various service / sales people. AT around 4:30pm i'm advised by the Master Technician the fault is not with the wiring harness within the engine compartment as it had been thoroughly checked and passed as good. The fault apparently is either the ECU or EMC unit and a final outcome will be achieved tomorrow after Volvo provide their interpretation of data. I'm advised the part will be ordered and fitted on Monday at no cost to myself.

I will keep you updated.

Cheers

I am glad to hear that Volvo came thru for you.

That is excellent news

Quote Originally Posted by Podret View Post
    Hi Paul, thank you for your response and suggestions.

I spent 7 hours at the dealership today having various discussions with various service / sales people. AT around 4:30pm i'm advised by the Master Technician the fault is not with the wiring harness within the engine compartment as it had been thoroughly checked and passed as good. The fault apparently is either the ECU or EMC unit and a final outcome will be achieved tomorrow after Volvo provide their interpretation of data. I'm advised the part will be ordered and fitted on Monday at no cost to myself.

I will keep you updated.

Cheers
    Hi Podret,

I was just about to suggest a 'faulty' ECU/EMC unit as wiring harnesses unless 'waggled' furiously during driving do not tend to breakdown in a very short time from new as they are usually checked very thoroughly by the manufacturer before being sent to the customer in this case Volvo.

Meanwhile 'Fingers & Toes' are crossed for you as we also had a 'problem' when towing our caravan as after around 6 months and never going near a Volvo Garage every time I put my foot on the brakes I got a warning came up telling me 'a Bulb had failed on the trailer' which was in a word 'Crap' as everything was still functioning correctly except for the error message.

5 YEARS later it was found that the Trailer Software Module needed to be replaced to 'cure' the problem.........
    BUT Volvo will NOT tell their Customers what has been done to the software for IMPROVEMENTS or BUG Fixes!!!

Smacks of a 'Secret Society' somewhere!

Best wishes for a successful resolution.