Unhappy New to me 2003 XC70 / Transmission struggle

Hey everyone, so I have been researching about the issue I've been having on my newly purchased 03 XC70. The car has 193k miles on it and most of the maintenance is unknown besides what I've done so far (Oil Change, spark plugs, soon to be transmission drain and fill). I know I know why would someone buy a vehicle like that, but this was purchased for very cheap as my winter car in order to keep my FR-S garage kept away from the salt.

So onto my problems with the transmission. I like what seems like quite a few people with similar mileage and year XC70's have been having issues with the auto trans. After researching I found I really needed a full module scan like with VIDA so I found a handheld scanner that scans every module on the Volvo and it seems to work great. After scanning the TCM I found I have code TCM-002f for "Lock-up function. Slipping or not engaged." The main symptom I am experiencing is the car going into limp mode with "-" for the gear indicator and it being locked in what feels like 3rd or 4th gear.

Now to the reason I am making a new thread, after testing what causes the car to go into limp mode I have determined that the only time it will be tripped is when driving on the freeway at speeds of 50mph or more but only when in 5th gear. I have cleared the codes in the TCM and after a 40 mile drive on the freeway while using the manual shifting mode to keep it in 4th instead of 5th there was not a single issue and no TCM codes what so ever. Now after about a week of driving everyday around town in normal drive and in manual 4th gear when on the freeway I have still not gotten any TCM codes or been thrown into limp mode. So this to me seems like it is different from what the majority of people are reporting for transmission problems so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks fellow XCer's

Transmission problems in the XC are not easily repaired, usually the first thing after a servo cover replacement is a Linear solenoid and Valve body service, your choice of a winter car is not the best as these are a high maintenance car, my advice is continue driving it in manual because the service required is probably more than you paid for the car, my best guess is you have a sluggish TCC (SLU) solenoid in the AW55N
    Last edited by AKAMick; 01-04-2018 at 05:24 PM.

From this description it sounds as if the torque converter is shot for starters
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by AKAMick View Post
    Transmission problems in the XC are not easily repaired, usually the first thing after a servo cover replacement is a Linear solenoid and Valve body service, your choice of a winter car is not the best as these are a high maintenance car, my advice is continue driving it in manual because the service required is probably more than you paid for the car, my best guess is you have a sluggish TCC (SLU) solenoid in the AW55N
    Thanks for the help! I definitely knew it was a high maintenance car so having these problems aren't catching me by surprise. I actually purchased the car as a potential to perform a manual swap on as I have always wanted a AWD Volvo wagon with a manual but not for the price that R's typically go for especially considering I have yet to see a manual one in my area for sale

As for now my plan is to continue to drive in the manual shifting mode to get me through winter, then go from there whether to replace valve body, auto trans, or do a manual swap.
    2003 Volvo XC70 - Potential Manual swap
    2014 Scion FR-S - Full Bolt-ons

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    From this description it sounds as if the torque converter is shot for starters
    I was thinking that could be it. Maybe it only happens in 5th because the resistance to acceleration is highest then causing the lock up to not hold where as it does in the other gears.

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
    Hey everyone, so I have been researching about the issue I've been having on my newly purchased 03 XC70. The car has 193k miles on it and most of the maintenance is unknown besides what I've done so far (Oil Change, spark plugs, soon to be transmission drain and fill). I know I know why would someone buy a vehicle like that, but this was purchased for very cheap as my winter car in order to keep my FR-S garage kept away from the salt.

So onto my problems with the transmission. I like what seems like quite a few people with similar mileage and year XC70's have been having issues with the auto trans. After researching I found I really needed a full module scan like with VIDA so I found a handheld scanner that scans every module on the Volvo and it seems to work great. After scanning the TCM I found I have code TCM-002f for "Lock-up function. Slipping or not engaged." The main symptom I am experiencing is the car going into limp mode with "-" for the gear indicator and it being locked in what feels like 3rd or 4th gear.

Now to the reason I am making a new thread, after testing what causes the car to go into limp mode I have determined that the only time it will be tripped is when driving on the freeway at speeds of 50mph or more but only when in 5th gear. I have cleared the codes in the TCM and after a 40 mile drive on the freeway while using the manual shifting mode to keep it in 4th instead of 5th there was not a single issue and no TCM codes what so ever. Now after about a week of driving everyday around town in normal drive and in manual 4th gear when on the freeway I have still not gotten any TCM codes or been thrown into limp mode. So this to me seems like it is different from what the majority of people are reporting for transmission problems so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks fellow XCer's
    I think you are mistaken in believing that using a scanner other than DiCE will serve. I have only skim read your thread (on two different days) and it is not clear to me if you have changed any component of the transmission i.e. valve body, but clearly you have attempted drain and fills and I believe it is legitimate to consider transmission fluid as a component (IMO) ergo the following applies which is verbatim VIDA:
    The transmission has torque-regulated, adaptive pressure regulation. The pressure regulator enables the transmission to regulate pressure during each shift to prevent hard shifting. Each shift is assessed by the transmission control module (TCM) and is stored in the internal memory. This makes it possible to compensate for transmission and clutch wear. It is important that the adaptation in the memory is reset so that the transmission works normally after the repair. Because the fluid was changed during the repair, the counter for transmission fluid change must also be reset. If the counter is not reset during
    d r ai n in g / r e p la c e me n t, a diagnostic trouble code may be generated under the wrong conditions. END

You will then have to drive the adaptions. Which is best done on a test track, somewhere unhindered by other vehicles where you can put the transmission through its paces safely in real-time with a portable running VIDA and with DiCE connected. Activating Adaptation 2.pdf is over the 'upload' limit but get or borrow (someone from this site who lives in your local will probable be willing to help) VIDA and you can read it for yourself. JRL is usually right, many dislike his bluff communications (I do) but the only downside to what he says is his mechanic deals with the **** not him, whereas folks like Astro et al - we do it ourselves. Good luck but don't think this is rocket science, or easy, it isn't - P.S. I don't think drain and fills will do the job: do a Gibbon's flush with 20 ltrs Toyota Type 4 NOT Mobile One (1) also we use stacks of salt here in UK my xc is 01 the underside is like new my ex's Toyota engined Citroen 5 years old is rotting away, so do't molly coddle your xc, enjoy it - it will possibly see you out (with the correct maintenance/servicing).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by nickbw; 01-09-2018 at 04:38 AM. Reason: b**** spell checker

Quote Originally Posted by nickbw View Post
    I think you are mistaken in believing that using a scanner other than DiCE will serve. I have only skim read your thread (on two different days) and it is not clear to me if you have changed any component of the transmission i.e. valve body, but clearly you have attempted drain and fills and I believe it is legitimate to consider transmission fluid as a component (IMO) ergo the following applies which is verbatim VIDA:
    The transmission has torque-regulated, adaptive pressure regulation. The pressure regulator enables the transmission to regulate pressure during each shift to prevent hard shifting. Each shift is assessed by the transmission control module (TCM) and is stored in the internal memory. This makes it possible to compensate for transmission and clutch wear. It is important that the adaptation in the memory is reset so that the transmission works normally after the repair. Because the fluid was changed during the repair, the counter for transmission fluid change must also be reset. If the counter is not reset during
    d r ai n in g / r e p la c e me n t, a diagnostic trouble code may be generated under the wrong conditions. END

You will then have to drive the adaptions. Which is best done on a test track, somewhere unhindered by other vehicles where you can put the transmission through its paces safely in real-time with a portable running VIDA and with DiCE connected. Activating Adaptation 2.pdf is over the 'upload' limit but get or borrow (someone from this site who lives in your local will probable be willing to help) VIDA and you can read it for yourself. JRL is usually right, many dislike his bluff communications (I do) but the only downside to what he says is his mechanic deals with the **** not him, whereas folks like Astro et al - we do it ourselves. Good luck but don't think this is rocket science, or easy, it isn't - P.S. I don't think drain and fills will do the job: do a Gibbon's flush with 20 ltrs Toyota Type 4 NOT Mobile One (1) also we use stacks of salt here in UK my xc is 01 the underside is like new my ex's Toyota engined Citroen 5 years old is rotting away, so do't molly coddle your xc, enjoy it - it will possibly see you out (with the correct maintenance/servicing).
    Thanks for all the info! I really appreciate it.

As for VIDA, I do realize that the scanner is no replacement for a full VIDA setup. I just wanted something that could actually scan and reset individual modules rather than the generic codes you get from scanning at an auto parts store. I'll see if I can find someone local that has VIDA and would be willing to help. To summarize what I've done is only a drain and fill with genuine aisin fluid from IPD and that's it. I'm contemplating a full flush but my only hangup is it's hard for me to justify spending $100 plus on fluid just to more then likely have the issue remain from what I've read. Especially with me wanting to manual swap it as well. I've definitely noticed how well these hold up in salt as I'm in what we call the rust belt of the US and the actual body and frame have very little rust if any. Anyway thanks again for the help!

"2003 Volvo XC70 - Potential Manual swap" keep us updated on this little endeavor, would be most interested.