- 12.10V reading outside car
    Battery #2
    - Replaced with Battery #1
    - Fully charged
    - 4.5-years old
    - CA 900
    - CCA 730
    - 11.75V reading after being in the car for eight hours

With the remote starter, the head lights come on, I can hear the electrical starting modules work
    but the it does not seem to have enough umph to start the car. After, the headlights will stay on
    without the engine starting.

With the ignition, the car will start just as if it's been in the cold (naturally), with just one start.
    It looks like a remote issue since the car starts with the ignition at that cold temperature.
    Also, it only happens when the car has been in the nippy cold for a period of time,
    when the highest temp is about low 20s. Am just getting more info before visiting the remote
    starter installers.

Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a strong feeling the batteries are the culprit.
    Last edited by Oka; 12-27-2017 at 09:33 AM.
    2001 Volvo V70XC/AWD/Auto/Turbo/164k Miles (Maroon)
    2001 Volvo XC70/AWD/Auto/Turbo/151k Miles (Brown)
    2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean/3.0/131K/AWD (Maroon)
    2005 Volvo XC90/AWD/V8/Auto 111K Miles (Black)
    2006 Toyota Sienna LE/AWD 124K Miles(Green)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1985 BMW (E23) 735i(US)/AUTO/209K Miles (Parked since 2011)
    1997 Mazda MPV/AUTO/4WD/173K Miles (Parked since 2008)

My question on this is how did the installer circumvent the security system to allow the car to start without a key being in the ignition or near the antenna ring, did you have to sacrifice a key to enable the remote start system to operate?.

Do you have the installation instructions for the remote starter?

In the cold I often get the "start-prevented" message, especially if the car has been sitting outside for a while. Happened to me just this morning after being in 0F temperatures for a week and gave exactly the symptoms you describe. It's caused by low battery voltage. A healthy, fully charged battery should give you 12.6V, anything under 12.4V is an indication that you need to replace the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by AKAMick View Post
    My question on this is how did the installer circumvent the security system to allow the car to start without a key being in the ignition or near the antenna ring, did you have to sacrifice a key to enable the remote start system to operate?.
    Yep!
    Definitely I had to sacrifice a spare key, tucked underneath the dash.
    Each of the five vehicles with remote starters has a key underneath the dash somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by albertj View Post
    Do you have the installation instructions for the remote starter?
    Yes I do!
    When I went back to inquire what the issue might be, the owner suspected the TACH settings.
    One of the installers adjusted it somehow; still doing the same thing.
    I would have to go back for more trouble-shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by sjonnie View Post
    In the cold I often get the "start-prevented" message, especially if the car has been sitting outside for a while. Happened to me just this morning after being in 0F temperatures for a week and gave exactly the symptoms you describe. It's caused by low battery voltage. A healthy, fully charged battery should give you 12.6V, anything under 12.4V is an indication that you need to replace the battery.
    Usually, when it happens, I go out to start it, rev it up a bit and let it run for about thirty seconds.
    I come out, shut the door and lock the doors with the fob (either the OEM or with the remote starter).
    When I start the car with the remote, it will start.

I have two 2001 XC70s. In the first one, I never had any problem. Had to remove this unit from the first one to get installed in the second XC70.
    Ironically, after the installation, the installer mentioned there was something kinda different with this car. They had problems getting it to work.
    This may be why, I guess.

By the way, I had to replace the battery with a new one anyway; I like to have strong battery for Anchorage.

A very interesting coincidence is, this is the first time I have used a lighter oil (for winter and for 'easier' starting).
    I usually stay with OEM recommendation, until now.
    Last edited by Oka; 01-28-2018 at 10:50 PM.

I am going to contact the manufacturer of the remote start.
    Unfortunately, they don't have a phone support anymore,
    just the online case report, which I will do as soon as am done here.
    Will report back on this forum with any information I might get from them.

Thanks.

Took the car back to the professional installer, to remove the existing remote starter (Compustar) and install a new Viper 7857V remote starter. Unfortunately, this new one does the same thing; won't start when it is cool outside (52F this morning). This new starter would try to start the car three times. When I got in the car, with the key, the ignition started it at first try.

The previous remote was moved from the other XC70 to this V70XC, both same year (not that any makes a difference). What on earth would be the issue? The common denominator is the one with the the new remote starter. I replaced the battery with a four month old one. The only time it will not start is when it is cold enough. Other times, the fob starts, locks and unlocks the car.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    2001 Volvo V70XC/AWD/Auto/Turbo/164k Miles (Maroon)
    2001 Volvo XC70/AWD/Auto/Turbo/151k Miles (Brown)
    2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean/3.0/131K/AWD (Maroon)
    2005 Volvo XC90/AWD/V8/Auto 111K Miles (Black)
    2006 Toyota Sienna LE/AWD 124K Miles(Green)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1985 BMW (E23) 735i(US)/AUTO/209K Miles (Parked since 2011)
    1997 Mazda MPV/AUTO/4WD/173K Miles (Parked since 2008)

Does your professional installer have any ideas what the problem may be?

Does the engine crank/turn over with the remote when it's cold out? If so, how many times or how long?
    How many times or how long does the engine crank/turnover before starting with the key when it's cold outside? Does it take longer than when warm?
    In other words, does the engine need more time to crank before starting when it's cold? If so, can the remote start be adjusted to crank longer if this is the problem?

Is there another issue with your car's COLD START procedure which is somehow being exacerbated by the remote? I dunno, maybe poor fuel delivery? Bad connections with electrical cables?
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast