Default fuel gauge reads empty after replacing fuel pump

just replaced pump unit with new bosch unit from fcp.Gauge worked fine before replacement.Do in need to open up the drivers side again and take look?.I did struggle with that side getting enough slack in the lone to reattach the fuel pickup.Any ideas would be most appreciated.Ive done one before with no issues,this one has me perturbed to say the least.Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by forestfarm View Post
    just replaced pump unit with new bosch unit from fcp.Gauge worked fine before replacement.Do in need to open up the drivers side again and take look?.I did struggle with that side getting enough slack in the lone to reattach the fuel pickup.Any ideas would be most appreciated.Ive done one before with no issues,this one has me perturbed to say the least.Thanks
    it would be a pain but I'd pull the pump and test the fuel level sender.

Do I need to open up the drivers side again and take a look?.I did struggle with that side
    I think the left sending unit sends the 0-1/2 signal, right side is 1/2- full. I do know if the left side sending unit is not working you get nothing on the gauge

i have it apart again,the pump float arm seems stuck when its down in the hole,doesnt move free when its lowered down,i have had enough of this job already,i will button it up again and order another pump if the gauge is still pegged at empty,i cant see why it wont move when in place,seems like the float is getting trapped under the whole assembly.I compared it to the old unit and the arms look identical and it moves freely out of the car,WTF.simple enough job but total ergonomic nightmare for an over age 50 guy

There has to be a reason it is sticking that you have overlooked, never let a stupid Swedish lump get the better of you.

i put it back together,fuel gauge still inoperable.Ordering another pump from fcp,im done with this turd for now

ordered another pump assembly and new sender unit.Hopefully these parts will have a better result

pump float arm seems stuck when its down in the hole

will order another pump if the gauge is still pegged at empty,
    Are you checking the left side sender? Thats the 0-1/2 side.

Do you have the sender side aligned properly in the hole?
    I just did mine and the float went toward the front of the car when I dropped the sender in.