Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default VIDA/DiCE Setups

I was just looking at trying to find a VIDA/DiCE setup a couple days ago and can't seem to make sense of the marketplace of available products. I did at one point find the volvo page where one can spend many thousands of dollars to purchase the diagnostic software directly from volvo, but it sounds from the forum like there is a cheaper way to interact with the car computer. Any links or specific info would be much appreciated related to trying to get VIDA/DiCE for this Junior Member

Here's the link that is exactly what I was looking for.
    Someone has taken the difficult to navigate world of gettign VIDA working on a machine and made it a service he will provide for a small fee. Capitalism at it's finest.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...-in-15-minutes

Lots of positive reviews and at least one instructional video. 40 bucks for the program download PLUS TECH SUPPORT!! 75-80 bucks for the DiCE cable from many outlets on eBay. Much, much better than the $5000+ Volvo price and you are in business

Quote Originally Posted by DannyStringhamMarquis View Post
    Here's the link that is exactly what I was looking for.
    Someone has taken the difficult to navigate world of gettign VIDA working on a machine and made it a service he will provide for a small fee. Capitalism at it's finest.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...-in-15-minutes

Lots of positive reviews and at least one instructional video. 40 bucks for the program download PLUS TECH SUPPORT!! 75-80 bucks for the DiCE cable from many outlets on eBay. Much, much better than the $5000+ Volvo price and you are in business
    So I would re-emphasize this product. I've had great success with it, and have also had problems which Andrew (the tech who developed this Virtual Machine) helped me to resolve. I would not have had the patience or knowledge required to get it functioning by myself. I say that knowing that I'm decently knowledgeable with computers. It's just a hassle to ensure compatibility. I didn't want to invest unless I was confident the product would work. This works!
    Last edited by DannyStringhamMarquis; 01-23-2018 at 06:20 AM. Reason: More details

Thanks for pointing me in the right directon billr99

Hi guys, if I buy this one is it ok ? https://www.ebay.com/itm/VIDA-DICE-2...-/292071274521

Quote Originally Posted by Dcauchon View Post
    Hi guys, if I buy this one is it ok ? https://www.ebay.com/itm/VIDA-DICE-2...-/292071274521
    Should be fine since it isn't "STUPID VIDA DICE which resvised from J2534, because that do NOT supports full functions and update"

Actually, you take your chances on these as some have had problems. I got mine years ago via Alibaba when folks said the same thing about those and I have never had a problem with the DiCE itself. If you are going to have problems, its in getting VIDA installed and working properly. Folks seem to forget that VIDA is a dealer service department tool provided to them by Volvo and it, appears at least, not meant to be installed on general-use PCs. That is, it installs and works way better on a laptop dedicated as a shop tool with not much else on it but VIDA. I've always had better luck installing VIDA on a Win7 Ultimate or Pro new install, with no updates other than those that are hardware specific. None of the umpteen updates that Microsoft says you should have. Then the install is less problematic. I then block auto updates and only manually install updates after I set a restore point so I can go back to a known working setup if any of the updates blow VIDA up. I have found that typically, its the SQL, Visual C updates that trash VIDA but some of the security ones also affect SQL and they can cause problems. Best to just keep the box un-updated and off the Net. In other words, keep it as an unconnected shop tool.

Good Luck,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

This is all new to me. I have an 01 XC70. If I am to invest in a VIDA/DICE what exactly is this? Am I looking for software only that I load into a lap top or is there some hardware purchased as well? If I do this are there certain versions that would go with my car or does one size fit all, within reason that is. This is a path I need to take. Any trip to the dealer stealer or even an independent shop will be almost as costly as a used 01 xc

Quote Originally Posted by Bob356 View Post
    This is all new to me. I have an 01 XC70. If I am to invest in a VIDA/DICE what exactly is this? Am I looking for software only that I load into a lap top or is there some hardware purchased as well? If I do this are there certain versions that would go with my car or does one size fit all, within reason that is. This is a path I need to take. Any trip to the dealer stealer or even an independent shop will be almost as costly as a used 01 xc
    DiCE is a Volvo proprietary scanner that is worth $1500 originally, plus you need software subscription (VIDA) that is worth around same $1500 yearly. Chinese friends will sell you a knock off scanner with "community" edition of the software. That won't read anything beyond 2015+, but for our car it's fine. It will pay itself the first time you use it.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

First bug....I need windows pro on my laptop but I have windows 7 home...

I'm gonna buy a DICE setup myself. My trans is going crazy and I'm hoping its because my Fluid Counter needs to be reset. I changed the fluid 12k mi. ago (dark burgundy) and the trans slowly adapted over several thousand miles to where the hard shifts just about disappeared. This summer/fall the shifting has been very smooth. My problem is in winter I drive up a steep mountain pass to the ski resort and I'm guessing the fluid is getting hot, the fluid counter already has too many instances recorded in memory of overheated fluid, so triggers a DTC message TRANSMISSION SERVICE URGENT and puts the trans into 3rd gear, shifter indicates "-.-". Now mind you the trans shifted fine going up the mountain with NO BAD SHIFTS. This was happening last winter too. Problem I'm having now is anywhere I drive, the shifting is great but as soon as the fluid warms up, I get the DTC and 3rd gear. I just put in 12 quarts of new fluid; the old fluid was very dark. Still the same problem. Don't mean to hijack the thread but I figured when I said the trans is crazy you guys would want some details.

Anyway, this is the DICE I'm looking to buy: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLVO-VIDA-...145?rmvSB=true. Yeah, it's cheap, but the delivery is like 4 days as opposed to 2-4 weeks. I've got an unused new 2015 ASUS laptop which will be only for VIDA/DICE so I'm deciding whether I should install Vida from disk or use a VMWare version. If anyone has any feedback or recommendations, lemme know.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast