Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DannyStringhamMarquis View Post
    Here's the link that is exactly what I was looking for.
    Someone has taken the difficult to navigate world of gettign VIDA working on a machine and made it a service he will provide for a small fee. Capitalism at it's finest.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...-in-15-minutes

Lots of positive reviews and at least one instructional video. 40 bucks for the program download PLUS TECH SUPPORT!! 75-80 bucks for the DiCE cable from many outlets on eBay. Much, much better than the $5000+ Volvo price and you are in business
    So I would re-emphasize this product. I've had great success with it, and have also had problems which Andrew (the tech who developed this Virtual Machine) helped me to resolve. I would not have had the patience or knowledge required to get it functioning by myself. I say that knowing that I'm decently knowledgeable with computers. It's just a hassle to ensure compatibility. I didn't want to invest unless I was confident the product would work. This works!
    Last edited by DannyStringhamMarquis; 01-23-2018 at 06:20 AM. Reason: More details

I rec'd my VIDA DiCE unit yesterday from eBay (see post #6). It was guaranteed delivery for last Friday so two business days late; I guess eBay owes me a $5 voucher. It was basically plug-n-play although establishing communications with vehicle was a little finicky. I used the VMWare image on swedespeed (thanks to folks over there for all their info and hard work) instead of loading VIDA from the dvd. I have an ASUS laptop with Windows 10 and 4gb RAM (2 gb assigned to virtual machine). I also used my car jump starter to provide a 12v current to the DiCE for installing the DiCE USB driver and doing the Communications Test which came out "OK". I did NOT attempt to update the DiCE firmware based on some warnings I read on the net.

I sat in the car and hooked the USB cable from the DiCE to my laptop. I turned on laptop and started the VIDA virtual machine. After the VIDA icon turned green but before launching VIDA, I started car and plugged DiCE cable into car's OBDII port. Launched VIDA and logged in. I clicked on "Read Vehicle", the working box flashed for about 20 sec and then I got a communication error box appear on screen. I repeated this step 3 more times and got the same communication error. I clicked on the DiCE Communications Test (see above) and this time I got TEST FAILED. I unplugged the DiCE cable from the OBDII port and hooked my 12v power supply to the DiCE. This time when I ran the DiCE Communications Test I got "OK". Removed the 12v power supply, hooked the DiCE cable back up to OBDII port, but this time the car was NOT running. Repeated the DiCE Communications Test and got OK. So I went ahead and told Dice to read vehicle. After about 30-45 sec the communication error box appeared on screen. So I started the car, clicked on Read Vehicle, and this time Voila! the various car modules were all read after a few minutes. Left the car running, spent mucho time clicking on various software screens, and finally found access to TCM Fluid Counter Reset. Clicked on VCT2000 image and got Reset Successful.

Some takeaways: roxana has done a great job with the VIDA WMWare image. Her tutorial made it easy to get it up and running on my laptop. There's a VIDA DiCE pdf you can find on the internet which outlines the general install process for DiCE. The software screenshots don't match with 2014D version and I did not update DiCE firmware. I researched other VIDA threads and watched a few youtube vids which were helpful. I needed to have my car running for DiCE to communicate. My battery is typically around 11.8 volts, I guess I don't take enough longer drives. The VIDA diagnostic software isn't real intuitive to navigate and there's a learning curve as others have mentioned.

Now, whether the Fluid Counter Reset will cure my tranny woes, time will tell...
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Can I scan my 07 XC70 with my reg. OBD II ?

Quote Originally Posted by Thang Vora View Post
    Can I scan my 07 XC70 with my reg. OBD II ?
    Of course.

And you'll be able to access the standard OBD II codes...leaving 95% of the Volvo proprietary information unread and inaccessible.

Comparing an OBDII reader with VIDA is like comparing a multi tool with your tool box. The multi tool (Or OBD II) does some of the tasks that a tool box can do, but the tool box does far, far more...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

This is all new to me. I have an 01 XC70. If I am to invest in a VIDA/DICE what exactly is this? Am I looking for software only that I load into a lap top or is there some hardware purchased as well? If I do this are there certain versions that would go with my car or does one size fit all, within reason that is. This is a path I need to take. Any trip to the dealer stealer or even an independent shop will be almost as costly as a used 01 xc

Got mine today...I will have to jump in the task of making this work !

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    Keep in mind that the some (or all) of the hacked versions of 2014D that have been sold for years STOPPED WORKING on 1/1/2018. Something about the license file expired. If you are going to purchase make sure it really works. I have seen a couple of new "patches" that are supposed to update the license expiration.
    Update expiration date prior "license" install. On installed instances that now all whine you can connect to the database and update expiration date for your user - I did that.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Quote Originally Posted by Xfingers View Post
    I'm gonna buy a DICE setup myself. My trans is going crazy and I'm hoping its because my Fluid Counter needs to be reset. I changed the fluid 12k mi. ago (dark burgundy) and the trans slowly adapted over several thousand miles to where the hard shifts just about disappeared. This summer/fall the shifting has been very smooth. My problem is in winter I drive up a steep mountain pass to the ski resort and I'm guessing the fluid is getting hot, the fluid counter already has too many instances recorded in memory of overheated fluid, so triggers a DTC message TRANSMISSION SERVICE URGENT and puts the trans into 3rd gear, shifter indicates "-.-". Now mind you the trans shifted fine going up the mountain with NO BAD SHIFTS. This was happening last winter too. Problem I'm having now is anywhere I drive, the shifting is great but as soon as the fluid warms up, I get the DTC and 3rd gear..
    Fluid counter reset not going to help. But with DiCE/VIDA in hands you'd be able to read the codes and estimate what has to be replaced in transmission
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob356 View Post
    This is all new to me. I have an 01 XC70. If I am to invest in a VIDA/DICE what exactly is this? Am I looking for software only that I load into a lap top or is there some hardware purchased as well? If I do this are there certain versions that would go with my car or does one size fit all, within reason that is. This is a path I need to take. Any trip to the dealer stealer or even an independent shop will be almost as costly as a used 01 xc
    DiCE is a Volvo proprietary scanner that is worth $1500 originally, plus you need software subscription (VIDA) that is worth around same $1500 yearly. Chinese friends will sell you a knock off scanner with "community" edition of the software. That won't read anything beyond 2015+, but for our car it's fine. It will pay itself the first time you use it.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

First bug....I need windows pro on my laptop but I have windows 7 home...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast