Default Daytime running lights

2014 XC70 D4 AWD Geartronic.

Just bought this car and am slightly confused by the lights. I assume the daytime running lights are what
    used to be the fog lights and have noticed that they are on with the light switch in the 0 position.
    I'm ok with this but wonder if there's a way to switch them off in the car settings. I find the manual's
    explanation of the light functions very confusing!

I pulled up the online Owner's Manual for your 2014 XC70. If you bought a U.S. model, you can go into the "My CAR" menu under Settings --> Car Settings --> Light Settings --> Daytime running lights. This choice goes with the "AUTO" setting of the headlight switch, and controls the running lights status during the daytime.

The lowbeam headlight is controlled via an ambient light sensor. So, if you drive into a dark tunnel in the daytime, they should automatically flick on in the tunnel, and back off when you exit it.

There are different rules for the Canadian model, where the running lights remain on at all daytimes, no matter what the headlights switch position.
    Last edited by pbierre; 02-28-2018 at 03:32 PM. Reason: corrections based on consulting manual

Quote Originally Posted by sixof1 View Post
    2014 XC70 D4 AWD Geartronic.

Just bought this car and am slightly confused by the lights. I assume the daytime running lights are what
    used to be the fog lights and have noticed that they are on with the light switch in the 0 position.
    I'm ok with this but wonder if there's a way to switch them off in the car settings. I find the manual's
    explanation of the light functions very confusing!
    Hi,
    As your XC is a UK Model (Somerset is in the UK?) then I am afraid that your daytime running lights cannot be switched off.

Cheers