Thread: Fan don't stop

Default Fan don't stop

Hi, so now my radiator fan won't stop running. As soon as the engine starts, the fan goes on and runs constantly. Is there a relay or a temp sensor that I should be looking at?
    Last edited by holland155; 11-06-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by holland155 View Post
    my radiator fan won't stop running. As soon as the engine starts, the fan goes on and runs constantly. Is there a relay or a temp sensor that I should be looking at?
    That may be a bad fan controller - Once you have a copy of vida you can diagnose it properly. If the temp sensor reading was far off enough to turn the fan on with a cold engine you would usually have a hard time starting the car. The fan controller is part of the fan assembly. And I trust the fan runs all the time with the AC compressor OFF also.

There is also the possibility of your AC being out of refrigerant or the AC pressure sensor being bad.
    2005 XC70 Ruby Red
    2007 V70R GT 477/Nordkap

The wiring diagram for a MY2004 shows that the fan controller (4/71) has a direct (30+) 12V feed.
    If it fails (in a short circuit), I think that the fan (6/29) would keep running until the battery is dead,
    even when the engine isn't and/or the key is removed from the contact.
    The wiring diagram for MY2007 shows the same setup. I don't have more recent diagrams, the OP's MY is unknown.
    Since the fan only starts running when the engine is running also, perhaps the cause may not be the fan controller.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cooling system.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	8398
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

This sounds like it may be the culprit. I've definitely heard that happening but don't have the first-hand knowledge I'm afraid. I'd love to know what was the problem once you pinpoint it so keep us posted please.
    Last edited by LesterQ; 10-29-2021 at 11:11 AM.