Question Buying A Replacement ETM Throttle Body

Hi All! So.. I have a 2006 XC 70 and got in a pickle where it went into safe mode and crept along at 10 MPH home. I put on the OBD and it came up Throttle Stuck Open. Towed to my regular mechanic... Midas .... and the guy says $1200. for new Throttle Body. FORGET THAT! I got the car back, actually started right up and drove normally on way home. I'm thinking OK what ever happened got unstuck now and just needs a cleaning. Well, got stuck again... SO now I am going to replace the ETM or Throttle body, whichever it is called for this model year. I got checked the "YouTube" videos and got it out no problem. I think because it was already out from Midas.... Anyway, I see that there are a lot of optoins for a Throttle body ranging from New, Rebuilt, Original Volvo , and Original Bosch. Prices range from $50 E bay for a direct aftermarket replacement to $ 400 for Bosch Guaranteed fit BUT the number is not exact. My Bosch says 280750103.the Bosch at the online store is 280750131. The Volvo part number is 30711553 which you can see on Ebay swith the after market brand.
    THE QUESTION IS: does anyone have experience with these after market parts AND will they work "plug And Play" in my car without having to have the computer re-programmed by the Dealer??
    Thank You all in Advance for your responses.

Check Xemodex

I paid GB £600 for OEM 10 years ago: then I learned about xmodex.

The Bosch should be the OE part.

No experience with reprogramming on a 2006.
    2002 S60 2.4T 173k

I'd suggest you get diagnostics done with a Volvo factory diag tool (VIDA/DiCE). OBD tool just give basic diags and Midas won't have the Volvo tool or experience. Volvo tool likely can tell you more in depth the reason for failure and an experienced Volvo tech might have more knowledge with detailed error code (it will be stored even if currently no problem)

Common ETM problems were with 01s. 02+ have the newer Bosch ETM with much lower failure rate. Lots of things can cause limp home mode (safe mode) so best to be sure before throwing $1200.

My suggestion is to go to a Volvo indy and get another option. Probably cost $100 for diagnoses.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

++1

Quote Originally Posted by howardc64 View Post
    I'd suggest you get diagnostics done with a Volvo factory diag tool (VIDA/DiCE). OBD tool just give basic diags and Midas won't have the Volvo tool or experience. Volvo tool likely can tell you more in depth the reason for failure and an experienced Volvo tech might have more knowledge with detailed error code (it will be stored even if currently no problem)

Common ETM problems were with 01s. 02+ have the newer Bosch ETM with much lower failure rate. Lots of things can cause limp home mode (safe mode) so best to be sure before throwing $1200.

My suggestion is to go to a Volvo indy and get another option. Probably cost $100 for diagnoses.
    2001 V70XC +204k miles/ XeMODeX/ Pirelli 12/32"/ Duracell 48/ MOBIL-3309/ Pennzoil EURO 5W-40/ Great Lakes