Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Salem Oregon
    Posts
    6

    Question low beam problem

    2006 xc70. My right side low beam headlight goes off intermittently. Seems to go out more frequently when the engine is cold. Sometimes it will start working again after the car has sat in the sun for awhile. I replaced the headlight assemblies recently with new ones, and at the same time went to Flosser H11 Silver Blue 70W bulbs instead of the Osram 55Ws That came with the new headlight assemblies. The Flossers run pretty hot, but the left side bulb has never had a problem. Ideas?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Posts
    142

    Default

    does the bulb out indicator on the insturment cluster light up when this happens?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Salem Oregon
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Yes, every time

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,396

    Default

    Did you check the connectors?
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Salem Oregon
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Yes, including cleaning and putting dialectric grease on the main connector leading to the headlight assembly. Double checked to make sure that problem headlight bulb is seated properly. Also checked, cleaned and tightened the ground wire points. Thinking the problem might be a relay. I bought the car used in February (now has only 82K miles). I'm not familiar with the relay system on the xc70s, I've driven only 240s and 740s until I got this one. I don't even know where the relays are (in the black box under the fuses on the left side of the cargo area?).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,396

    Default

    The drawing is for MY2007. If 2006 is the same, it seems the headlights have no realy(s).
    Are you sure about the bulb? Perhaps you can swap left to right.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pages from V70 XC70 XC90 2007 Wiring Diagram.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	8394
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Salem Oregon
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    The drawing is for MY2007. If 2006 is the same, it seems the headlights have no realy(s).
    Are you sure about the bulb? Perhaps you can swap left to right.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pages from V70 XC70 XC90 2007 Wiring Diagram.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	8394
    Can never fully trust a bulb. I will do a switch tomorrow. By the way, are the relays behind the left rear wheel below the fusebox? And does each low-beam headlight have its own relay?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    1,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus Morph View Post
    And does each low-beam headlight have its own relay?
    As mentioned earlier there are no relays for the headlamps. They are controlled by the CEM. Low (dipped) beam fuses are B16-17 under the hood, High (main) beam fuses are in the CEM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1

    Default Wiring

    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus Morph View Post
    Yes, including cleaning and putting dialectric grease on the main connector leading to the headlight assembly. Double checked to make sure that problem headlight bulb is seated properly. Also checked, cleaned and tightened the ground wire points. Thinking the problem might be a relay. I bought the car used in February (now has only 82K miles). I'm not familiar with the relay system on the xc70s, I've driven only 240s and 740s until I got this one. I don't even know where the relays are (in the black box under the fuses on the left side of the cargo area?).
    Its probably some crack or fray in the wiring. Mine needed a repositioning and some insulating and its getting by. Ill get the ceramic connector online once this one dies.
    Wiggle the wires when its on and spot where the issue comes from

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Just went through this myself - turns out the connector to the bulb was the issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •