Unhappy Putting a 2001 V70XC out to pasture :(

Hey guys,

Well, it pains me to write this but after 15 years of trusty service, our silver 2001 V70XC and the car that inspired the creation of this site, has finally kicked the can.

As is well known around here, the transmission has always been the Achilles heel of the 2001... Ours had its replaced at around the 200k mark and the second one lasted to 310k. We weren't interested in dropping another 3.5-5K into a car that's barely worth that on the resale market, so decided to park her and ended up getting a 2014 VW Tiguan to tide us over for the next while. Great little ski vehicle, but sure do miss the smoothness, space and comfort of the XC.

Thoughts on how best to set her to pasture... Part it out, sell to auto recycler, scrap or other ideas?

Taylor
    01 V70XC/Silver/Graphite/Touring & Versatility Packs/No Mods
    Servoweb Technologies developers of web stuff...
    Paddle Surf Canada
    CanSkier.com Skier Community

310K is a pretty good run. I'd advertise it as a mechanic's special and see if you get any action.

Buy my 06. Not only is it a great 06 but the difference from a 2001 to a 2006 will astound you!
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Depends on the market, I would say. Are those Ks or Miles? Either way, a bit high. My area does not have much of a market for 01, given the preponderance of the number of vehicles I see for sale on CL. The 04-07 are different, some of the folks selling 07s are asking a ridiculous amount, as solid as the last year of the P2 was in XC trim (I almost just bought one to complement my 04). So, part out if you have the space and the patience, otherwise, advertise the individual parts.

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

Hi Taylor.

Say it ain't so! I was wondering if you still had the old gal. It sure has seen it's fair share of drives to the coast with a surfboard adorning the roof.

Will send you a PM as we just arrived on Pender Island to welcome the snow.
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)

Quote Originally Posted by sanfelice View Post
    Depends on the market, I would say. Are those Ks or Miles? Either way, a bit high.
    Are you nuts?
    90K miles on an eleven, near twelve year old car is considered very LOW mileage.
    Do your math, that's somewhere between eight and nine thousand miles a year depending on when it was first delivered
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Post Time to Move on

A ton of memories of your ride Taylor, especially those epic GTGs! Still have my copy of our rigs on Rollin' Magazine!

Our '06 is, more or less, still humming along at 150,000 km. However, I'm just in the process of having the DEM replaced so there goes its virtually blemish free maintenance record.

Thanks for the comments and feedback guys!

it was at 310,000 km and most things outside of the transmission were running admirably, but cost of transmission makes it a no go.

I think I'll go the parting out route as I have replaced quite a few items over the years that might be of interest to members here!

JRL, that is the MY target (06-07) I'm aiming for and tempting... I might have been interested if it was on this side of the continent and on the Canadian side of the border.

John & Art, have very fond memories of our trips around Sea to Sky, Okanagan and Vancouver Island, those were some great times with the Pacific Northwest XC Gang! If it's in the cards, hopefully I'll be in another Volvo XC sometime down the road but for the short term we're sticking with the VW Tiguan and see how things pan out from there!

Cheers!

Taylor
    01 V70XC/Silver/Graphite/Touring & Versatility Packs/No Mods
    Servoweb Technologies developers of web stuff...
    Paddle Surf Canada
    CanSkier.com Skier Community