Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Salem, MA
    Posts
    93

    Default XC70 P2 owner with questions for P3 owners (2008+)

    Hi everyone,

    I'm active in the 2001-2007 XC70 forum and have 2 XC70s, one with 192K and another project XC with 180K. Starting to think about replacing one of them (just a thought) and wanted some input from current owners. I would only consider the T6 model and wanted feedback on best model years, transmission longevity, problem areas, control arm bushings issues, etc.

    Also wondered about the blind spot detection sensors and automatic braking if approaching another car too fast options, what years and if std or opt.

    Just toying with the idea and my goal was to run my current XC70 to 250K, but it would be nice to give to my son and grab a P3 model for myself.

    D-
    Last edited by dmackey; 10-13-2017 at 08:45 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    19

    Default So far I am pleased with my 2012 XC70

    Quote Originally Posted by dmackey View Post
    Hi everyone,

    I'm active in the 2001-2007 XC70 forum and have 2 XC70s, one with 192K and another project XC with 180K. Starting to think about replacing one of them (just a thought) and wanted some input from current owners. I would only consider the T6 model and wanted feedback on best model years, transmission longevity, problem areas, control arm bushings issues, etc.

    Also wondered about the blind spot detection sensors and automatic braking if approaching another car too fast options, what years and if std or opt.

    Just toying with the idea and my goal was to run my current XC70 to 250K, but it would be nice to give to my son and grab a P3 model for myself.

    D-
    It is not a T-6, but I have had it for two and a half years and have done nothing to it except routine service. I use the blind spot detection system on interstates when they're not too congested - they are terrific; I'll look for them on future purchases. And the automatic braking has come on only once, which surprised me when it did - but that is another option I'll look for when my current XC70 with 65,000 miles reaches about a half million or so :-)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Wales UK
    Posts
    1,901

    Default

    Like Champ234 our 2010 D5 SE XC70 has just gone over the 100,000 Miles (160,000K) and is running as well if not better than when we got it new, as the engine has loosened up which happens with diesels.

    Routine servicing has also paid off with no major or minor failures.
    I have also replaced the rear brakes discs twice as the EPB seems to drag slightly which wears them out twice as fast as the front discs (I think you call them 'Rotors' over there?).

    Pity Volvo will not bring back the Manual Handbrake as my wife hates the EPB and will not drive the car!

    Now just switched to a set of Hankook 4 Seasons Tyres and the mileage per gallon of diesel has increased quite considerably from the previous set of Kuhmo's.

    Blind spot system is good even when towing the caravan, while the car does not have the automatic braking system but then I tend to stay back from the vehicle in front.


    As they say: "Look after your kit and your kit will look after you"
    So i'm looking forward to the next 100,000 Miles!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    281

    Default

    [QUOTE=XCovlov70;198998]Like Champ234 our 2010 D5 SE XC70 has just gone over the 100,000 Miles (160,000K) and is running as well if not better than when we got it new, as the engine has loosened up which happens with diesels.


    Pity Volvo will not bring back the Manual Handbrake as my wife hates the EPB and will not drive the car!

    Blind spot system is good even when towing the caravan, while the car does not have the automatic braking system but then I tend to stay back from the vehicle in front.


    1 Unfortunately, I don't think the OP can get the diesel in Canada (we cannot in the USA anyway). Too bad, I used a diesel V60 as a rental in Spain - great mileage. The T6 I have in my 2010 is OK but I liked the T5 in my P2 better

    2. Just a note on BLIS... mine showed an error this week. The dealer said there is a service bulletin or note about corrosion of the lens heater (not the heated mirror element) which will cost almost $500 to fix as the labor is the same as replacing both mirrors.

    3. I don't have an opinion on the parking brake except location. What if the driver has a medical issue? With a center mounted brake, manual or electronic, a passenger would have some steering and speed control. I realize the likelihood is small but it has always bugged me.

    Overall my 2010 has been good
    Current: 2010 XC70 T6 Caspian Blue/Grey

    Previous: 2001 V70XC Nautic Blue/Grey 218K Volvo High Mileage Club,

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    1,324

    Default

    [QUOTE=slowflyer;200457]
    Quote Originally Posted by XCovlov70 View Post
    With a center mounted brake, manual or electronic, a passenger would have some steering and speed control. I realize the likelihood is small but it has always bugged me.
    The electric hand brake can be used manually in an emergency situation, not as easy as pulling a handle, but might relieve some of your stress.

    From Volvo
    In an emergency the parking brake can
    be applied when the vehicle is moving
    by holding in the control. Braking will
    be interrupted when the accelerator
    pedal is depressed or the control is
    released.
    An audible signal will sound during this
    procedure if the vehicle is moving at
    speeds above 6 mph (10 km/h).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Wales UK
    Posts
    1,901

    Default

    [QUOTE=hoonk;200462]
    Quote Originally Posted by slowflyer View Post

    The electric hand brake can be used manually in an emergency situation, not as easy as pulling a handle, but might relieve some of your stress.

    From Volvo
    In an emergency the parking brake can
    be applied when the vehicle is moving
    by holding in the control. Braking will
    be interrupted when the accelerator
    pedal is depressed or the control is
    released.
    An audible signal will sound during this
    procedure if the vehicle is moving at
    speeds above 6 mph (10 km/h).
    When our XC70 went in for it's 'Annual Inspection' the Grease Monkey who was doing the test did not know how to use the Rolling Road to test the EPB, so he drove the car across the forecourt with a manual brake meter in the passenger foot well and applied the EPB!!!

    The force of the pads being applied on the discs nearly ripped off the axle and wheels!

    The car has never been back there again and I always now tell the garage that I want to see them carry out the test on THEIR Rolling Road!

    That makes them stop and think!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •