Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default XC clock not working

03 XC, kinda strange, but the digital clock isn't working. Area where clock would be is just blank. Owners manual only gives info on how to adjust the time. Everything else seems to work ok. Weird. Maybe there is some procedure for jump starting the digital clock...? Thanks, Dave

Quote Originally Posted by daver1100rt View Post
    03 XC, kinda strange, but the digital clock isn't working. Area where clock would be is just blank. Owners manual only gives info on how to adjust the time. Everything else seems to work ok. Weird. Maybe there is some procedure for jump starting the digital clock...? Thanks, Dave
    When did it stop working, and was that coincidental with an event (something else failed, a collision, ?)

Probably, just one of the normal failing DIM issues.

Quote Originally Posted by ericjp View Post
    Probably, just one of the normal failing DIM issues.
    Yep, more than likely, especially considering the MY.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

digital clock isn't working. Area where clock would be is just blank.
    The screen with the clock in it also has outside temp and gear position. If the complete screen is blank you may just need a new back light bulb. Shine a flashlight on the screen - if the info is barely visible - a new bulb might fix it. That cluster has 9 incandescent bulbs in it, 4 of a 989800, and 5 of a 9472109 or 9472110.

Well I just bought the car about a month ago so I don't know about any significant "event". The gear indicator is lit, I don't remember if the outside temp is shown. I'm not going to any extreme measures (or expense) to get the clock working. Just get a sticky back clock at WallyWorld. I just thought maybe there was some reset procedure that would get the clock working... Dave

Well I just bought the car about a month ago so I don't know about any significant "event". The gear indicator is lit, I don't remember if the outside temp is shown. I'm not going to any extreme measures (or expense) to get the clock working. Just get a sticky back clock at WallyWorld. I just thought maybe there was some reset procedure that would get the clock working... Dave
    Got it. I bought my XC70 about a year ago, so I don't claim to know much more.

To work on the car yourself (recommended) you'll want/need a VIDA/DICE setup - search on this site and you will find at least one list member who sells used laptops running that setup, pretty cheaply, and also you'll find pointers to obtaining and installing them on your own.

I did not see a reset procedure for the clock in my VIDA/DICE.

I have not fixed such a cluster. I have fixed similar displays on Delco radios. On those, what happens is (a, very rare) the radio is jarred somehow in a collision or some such (b, most often) someone kind of ham-handed disassembles it for whatever reason - anyway, in those radios there is a silicone rubber strip with embedded conductors that must be perfectly aligned in order for the display to work. Misalign that, and part or all the display will go blank or malfunction depending on the degree of misalignment.

On other such displays, if they are hard-wired, I have seen heat on the circuit board cause the solder connections to open or cause damage to display driver circuitry.

I was thinking maybe a bulb, but now I remember- instead of the time, there are just 2 little lines, like hyphens. No temp indication. Dave

A fairly common DIM failure is clock racing on its own (as if you were setting the time). If you have dash line for temp and no clock. Perhaps you've hit this common failure. I left some info on this failure+repair here

http://www.freewebs.com/howardsvolvo....htm#948779827

You can also take a look at the text message window, if if showed garbed text when you click for messages, its another sign of DIM failure.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

I must have pushed and wiggled that little plastic stem 20 times and got nothing (gear selector and temp both worked). Last night I pushed it or turned it or something and my clock came on! Don't know what I did, but it's working! Thanks, Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast