Default stuck in park - solenoid?

This morning I started the car, and couldn't get it out of PARK. The brake pedal was unusually stiff. I turned it off. Let it sit for about 2-3 minutes, fired it up again, and felt the brake pedal release under my foot, and was able to shift normally. Same thing happened again later in the afternoon.

I called my shop, and they said that it sounded like a problem with the solenoid. This is a new word for me. Just so I know before I go to the shop, how much $$ am I headed into? Is it something that can be repaired, or is it a replacement issue?

Thanks in advance.
    Pat

The stiff pedal sounds like a loss of the stored vacuum in the booster. There is a 3-port valve near the airfilter box, that connects the booster/vacuum assist pump/ and intake manifold. These can break, or the hoses leak, causing vacuum loss, and a stiff pedal after sitting. The pedal needs to depress far enough to actuate the switch of the solenoid and brake lights.
    Also, there is an electrical switch that controls the vacuum assist pump that can also fail. If it lets the pump run uncontrolled, it will burn the pump motor out quickly.
    PDX-Vancouver, USA

2005 XC70 140,000

There is a mechanical interlock within the shift handle - the button on the front of it pulls up a vertical rod and lets you move it out of park. Mine felt strange for about a year before it failed - I removed the button (in two pieces) and was able to lift the rod with my finger for a few days until the aftermarket replacement part arrived. Easy fix.
    '04 XC70 (petrol/auto), Nautic Blue / Graphite, Premium, Touring, Boosters, Xenia Wheels w/235x60 Nokian WR's (wife's kid-hauler)
    '09 C70 retractable hard top convertible. Red with black interior.