Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Vibration under load, suspect engine mounts

Hi all- 03 XC70, car has a vibration under load and I suspect engine mounts are shot. Which mounts are typical failures? Or should I go in with the 5 piece set and change all of them out? oh, car has 150k on the clock, I'm guessing they probably are originals. Thanks, Dave

With 150K miles on the clock, I'd suggest doing all 5. Of course, you can start out easy and do the the 3 that are typical and tend to go after 80K or so and see if that does it for you. When I had my '02, the vibration levels changed dramatically when I finally got around to changing the 2 main mounts at about the same mileage as you have. Way more than any change associated with changing the "easy 3". I probably should do the main mounts on my '05 XC but think I'll wait til next summer for those.

Have fun,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Vibration under load is synonymous with bad axles - dont rule that out

Bill- Which ones are the "typical 3"? I'd consider doing those before the snow starts falling (which could start in October). Are they the front mount (shaped like a baseball), passenger side mount and the one on top of the engine? It looks like the rear mount (baseball) is the tough one. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by daver1100rt View Post
    Bill- Which ones are the "typical 3"? I'd consider doing those before the snow starts falling (which could start in October). Are they the front mount (shaped like a baseball), passenger side mount and the one on top of the engine? It looks like the rear mount (baseball) is the tough one. Dave
    No, you are looking at the mount at the “front” of the engine down by the crank pulley, the top mount between the engine and upper engine mount bar, and the lower transmission mount. The “baseball” shaped mounts are what I would call the “main” mounts.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'02 V70XC-gone @393K kms

Bill- I did yesterday notice the top mount (behind the engine) is all loose and floppy. That will be the first one I'll replace, looks real simple. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by daver1100rt View Post
    Bill- I did yesterday notice the top mount (behind the engine) is all loose and floppy. That will be the first one I'll replace, looks real simple. Dave
    It is designed to be a bit loose. Just a bit.

Also if it's dead, its buddy between transmission and a front part of subframe is dead too. They die together.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
    It is designed to be a bit loose. Just a bit.

Also if it's dead, its buddy between transmission and a front part of subframe is dead too. They die together.
    Agree 100%. Just as a note. We have some pretty crap roads up here and I have noticed that the lower transmission mounts seem to die early as a result and in comparison to the smoother roads we had over in Northern Ontario. Typically, the small bush on the lower mount is the first one to go. So what I do is use a poly bush in the small bush location and the stock one in the big end. I get great lower mount life with this combination and not much increase in noise or vibration. All 3 of my P2 have had this mod and it would be something I would recommend especially if local road conditions are going to be trying to bounce your engine out of the car.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'02 V70XC-gone @393K kms

So the companion to that top of engine mount (that you're telling me probably is shot as well) - Is it referred to as the "Engine torque strut mount at transmission and crossmember" ?

That one was on my list to replace, maybe this coming weekend. Dave

I second a bad axle. Obviously it sounds like your mounts need to be done as well. But over the years, 3 times altogether on 2 different Volvos, I've had vibration under load caused by a defective axle. And the axles did not "click click" when turning sharply, like some CV joints do. Just vibrated under load.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast